Dual boot frustration RRS feed

• Question

• The OneCare license is such that my dual boot computer (XP-Pro & Vista)  utilizes 2 of the 3 licenses, which I understand.  The OneCare Circle, however, is TOTALLY upset because it cannot SEE that second computer that it is

always invisible.  Will I forever be relegated to RED status?  The nagging is intolerable.  I have to have XP-Pro available to get any work done, much as I like Vista.  They are each on a separate harddrive.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:28 PM

Answers

• As long as both instances are communicating status to the servers, your hub status should update to reflect the status of the PC that is not on. Actually, though, I would recommend "un-hubbing" the PC or PCs so that you don't see this when running the other one. There is no benefit to you from having them hubbed.

And I might make another recommendation as I do what you are doing for testing purposes, but I got away from dual boot ages ago. Look into Virtual PC. I have a PC that is hosting another Virtual PC with XP running in the Virtual PC. OneCare is on the host and the guest and they are both on at the same time, therefore the hub functionality works perfectly for me.

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• As long as both instances are communicating status to the servers, your hub status should update to reflect the status of the PC that is not on. Actually, though, I would recommend "un-hubbing" the PC or PCs so that you don't see this when running the other one. There is no benefit to you from having them hubbed.

And I might make another recommendation as I do what you are doing for testing purposes, but I got away from dual boot ages ago. Look into Virtual PC. I have a PC that is hosting another Virtual PC with XP running in the Virtual PC. OneCare is on the host and the guest and they are both on at the same time, therefore the hub functionality works perfectly for me.

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Hello again Steve:   I'll look into the virtual PC..that sounds like an ideal solution, presuming it will work.  One of the (several) reasons for running XP separately is that both systems see the optical drives so very differently, and I am tired of each scrapping CDs (Vista), and DVDs (XP).

In regard to the "unhubbing", I have made several serious attempts (logged in) to "unhub".  That appears not to be an option (to hub or not hub) on this computer.  Do I have to uninstall & reinstall OneCare from this computer (presumably the hub) to re-obtain that option?   (Note:  this is also that computer that cannot create a support log because of the harddrive needing freespace (and this is 64 bit Vista). 

Friday, November 2, 2007 3:46 PM
  • A reinstall will unhub it. You should, however have an option for it. I overlooked it myself. On the PC you want to unhub, click on the manage my circle link to see the hub and the other PC(s) in the circle. Click on the details link to the lower right of the hub you wish to demote and you should see a link to stop being a hub.

I reported the support log issue as I was able to duplicate it on my Vista x86 machine. Do you have Winzip installed by chance?

As for the VM, an added benefit is that the VM can capture the physical CD/DVD drives or use an ISO image as a CD/DVD drive. Note that the Virtual Machines cannot burn discs and can't use USB devices directly.

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Dear Steve.

This question is as close as I could find to my issue. I am very happy with one care product and turned down other software in favor of it.

I also am working with the Virtual PC product with good results. I don't have any problems with my circle either.

My question is this, 

Since beta testing Vista Ultimate I have decided to keep the dual boot system I built with xp pro 32 on one hard drive and the 64  bit xp pro on the other. I know that it has  been said that  one care is not operative for 64 bit but from the 32 bit  side  both hard drives are scanned.  Is it really  working or is this a false indication ?

Sincerely Appreciate and words of wisedom here,

Tdub

More puzzeled than frustrated

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Yes, OneCare is scanning the files on the 64 bit XP side of the PC, but there is no protection at all when booted to XP64. On the other hand, there are not many viruses that attacked 64 bit XP or Vista at this point. Personally, I'd still get A/V for XP64 and run it. You can get free protection from www.avast.com and I believe it will work on XP64.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Thank you Steve for your promp responce 

Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:50 AM