HP EX470 RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot find any documentation on how to upgrade the RAM.

Does anyone have any documentation on how/if you can upgrade the RAM in EX470/475 based machines

512MB seems very low for a media station.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you had a look on the HP Media Smart support website? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3548165&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

Andrew

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:11 PM
  • That's the first place I looked.

If you go there you will find ZERO documentation on the hardware other then how insert a hot swapable drive.

I am pretty sure they don't want you to open it but to be honest what if RAM fails what do you do?

Send it back?

That's crazy when a stick of ram can fit in an envelope and be sent to you.

You know what I mean?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:15 PM
  • Fair enough - mine hasnt arrived yet so I've not bothered going through the online docs.

I think the easiest and quickest solution would be to call HP and ask them.

Andrew

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:24 PM
  •  

Go here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30135/75/1/2/

It sort of describes how to open the darn thing...You can see the ram and cpu from the front grill. Its right on the bottom.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Do you know waht the maximum RAM is for that board?

Thanks for the update I will mark this as answered!

Thanks again.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Here are some instructions I posted in another thread:

I have taken mine apart as well and there may be more than one way...but

Make sure you remove the power and the network cable first.

Open the front door.  You will find 2 very small black screws holding the panel on that has the lock button.  Remove those 2 screws and then pull off the panel.  There is a small connector there that you can detach then set the panel aside.

Remove all 4 drive holders and set them aside.

Looking behind the panel, you will see one screw holding the lower hinge for the door so just loosen that one and the door should come off then.  You will also see 2 silver screws just behind the panel you removed ealier as well.  Remove them.

Now slide the top plastic silver cover/top forward and it should just slide right off.  That will expose 3 connectors, 2 for the fans and one for the drive lights.  Unhook those remembering what order they go in.

You will also see 2 light blue hold-down levers that you just rotate around to release the drive back plane.  Now reach inside the drive area and just push the back plane up and it should pop right off of the mother board (the backplane sockets in to the motherboard).  You can then remove the backplane.

Now with the backplane out, you should be able to slide the power supply/motherboard assembly right out. 

Reverse the process to put it back together.

The whole process took less than 10 minutes start to finish and obviously this may void your warranty.  Go slow and be careful and you should have no problems.  I'm writing this from memory so I hope I'm remembering all of the steps.  If not hopefully someone will correct me.

The memory I used was the cheapest PNY or Kingston (can't remember the brand for sure) PC5300 1GB sticks BestBuy had.  I think they were about $28 and they are working great so far.

I noticed that during backups, my system is using 259MB just for the backup program (putting total ram used at 750MB) so IMHO getting the extra ram didn't hurt at all.

Good luck....

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I noticed you said sitck (s)

It has two slots?

All images i Saw only show one.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Sorry about that...  I was doing more than one HP EX470.  The unit in fact only has one slot....

David

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:18 PM
  •  

I noticed during back up it uses more ram, and also with the Media Library sharing for Windows Media it uses a lot more (I saw it using up to 200mb at times)...

So more ram really can't hurt

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:01 PM
  •  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145180

1x2GB stick, $44.99 plus -$10 mail in rebate and free 3 day shipping

(11/29/2007)

Sounds like a good deal to me

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:03 PM
  •  

Has anyone dropped a different CPU in this thing?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:07 PM
  • what about VGA out? is there any pins and or any way to get VGA out?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:39 PM
  •  

I think the consensus so far is that there are no header pins on the board for VGA.

I see that there are AGP/Graphics drivers installed in Add/Remove Program for the chipset.

I don't know if maybe the chipset inherently supports it, and they just didn't put leads on the board - or if it is there for some other technical reason.

Maybe it doesn't even have a graphics chip on board?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Listed under Device Manager as SiS Mirrage Graphics ????

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Not sure we would really need the video out.

It is very easily accesible via RDP.

Unless you were looking to pipe the desktop out to a big screen or something not sure of the purpose.

As far as the memory they should have put a slot that was easily accessbile to upgrade becasue 512MB donesn't cut it.

Some guy name Cruzer on Amazon.com reviews ripped up my review of the EX470.

Feel free to have a read:

Amazon ReviewNot entirely sure why he was so harse on me about it but what I wrote was 100% unbias and very accurate
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:22 PM