none
Searching improvement request RRS feed

• General discussion

• Greetings,

I am constantly frustrated trying to find answers that I know exist.  The problem is that so many terms are somewhat generic and when I do get results, I get a few million.  This makes it hard to get the answer I need so I end up posting a question that has been asked many times before.

It would be nice if you could give us a search option that allows filtering.  So I can do an initial search, get my million results, and then start filtering that down by adding additional search criteria against the result set. 

Also, it would also be nice to limit the search to the last year (or even 2 years) so I don't have to wade through solutions that were necessary and appropriate in 2006 but have long since become obsolete.

Thanks

me (and yes, I DO mark correct answers)

Friday, September 6, 2013 11:54 PM

All replies

• The problem is that so many terms are somewhat generic and when I do get results, I get a few million

The problem there is that this forum does not use an implicit AND between search terms and does not support Boolean expressions.   If you want more precision in your search you need to go to BING or Google.  In fact, lately Google is the only place where I have been able to find some things which I know exist here, which is really perverse and irritating.  So clearly BING is not being allowed to see everything here and unfortunately Google does not always get to see everything here either, so sometimes the only way that I have been able to find them is by a tedious browsing process using My Threads.  If there is one thing which will eventually drive me away from trying to help here, it is this infuriating disrespectful abuse of my time.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Robert,

I also find it interesting that the Entity Framework folks have essentially told people to use Stack Overflow instead of MSDN forums to get support.  So even the MS people see the problems.

It is rather frustrating - I would have thought that MS would have focused more energy on supporting the people who write applications for MS as they need us to make Windows relevant. Given all the changes with Android and IOS, it seems to me that the last thing MS should want to do is to alienate developers...

Oh well....

me (and yes, I DO mark correct answers)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:45 PM