When exporting a panorama to disk open a more suitable directory RRS feed

• Question

• When exporting a panorama to disk, currently the directory opened in the Save As dialog is the 'last' directory exported to by ICE.

I feel it would be much easier for bulk users if the directory opened was the one of where the source images for the panorama came from.

(I ended up exporting a bunch of images to the wrong directories, as I didn't double check what directory was opened when the Save As dialog appeared)

Monday, March 23, 2015 5:42 AM

Answers

• I think Nick's right -- the export file dialog starts in the directory that was most recently accessed by any file dialog in ICE, and therefore it matches the source directory when importing using "New pano from images" or "New pano from video", but not when using drag-and-drop.  I think we could improve it by starting in the source directory even in the drag-and-drop case.  I'll make a note of that for a future release.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:36 PM

All replies

• I agree, this sounds like a super suggestion. When panoramaing photos from various locations the last folder suggestion is annoying.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:12 PM
  • On further consideration I think this might be an artifact of allowing people to 'simply' drag and drop photos into the ICE window to get started.

If this feature was not allowed the user would have to click to start a new panorama each time which makes the UX flow much better and I believe solves this issue as the export feature then knows where the images originate.

====================
    www.nickbailey.co.uk
    ====================

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:09 PM
  • I think Nick's right -- the export file dialog starts in the directory that was most recently accessed by any file dialog in ICE, and therefore it matches the source directory when importing using "New pano from images" or "New pano from video", but not when using drag-and-drop.  I think we could improve it by starting in the source directory even in the drag-and-drop case.  I'll make a note of that for a future release.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:36 PM