none
How to activate after Install RRS feed

• Question

• I am a CIS student. Our college is able to offer our department current Microsoft OSs. I  copied  the ISO  for Vista and installed. During the process I expected to enter the license key that I was given. I never saw that screen.

I have build 6000 (Debug), according to winver.exe.

I don't think I have a good install, not only because I didn't enter the key, but also because of missing and malfunctioning features.

How can I validate the install and activate?

Dan Flory
    Monday, December 11, 2006 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

If you haven't installed your license key yet you can do so by going to System Properties in Control Panel, either by right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties, or clicking on Control Panel, then System and Maintenance, then System.  There you'll see a blue link under Windows Activation at the bottom of the window which will allow you to enter a product key.  Once you enter your product key be sure to click "Next" or press Enter, but not "Activate Windows online now".  If you have any problems with activating let me know. 

After you've activated, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click "Validate Windows".  Again, let me know if that doesn't go smoothly for you. My guess is that should clear up the issues with you missing features. Thanks!

Monday, December 11, 2006 6:18 PM
  • Where did you get your copy of Windows Vista 6000 (RTM)?

I would suggest contacting your IT administrator to contact his Microsoft Account Manager to get the best level of support.

Many of the large corporations and institutions that have access to this are only testing at this point before deployment.

-phil

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

If you haven't installed your license key yet you can do so by going to System Properties in Control Panel, either by right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties, or clicking on Control Panel, then System and Maintenance, then System.  There you'll see a blue link under Windows Activation at the bottom of the window which will allow you to enter a product key.  Once you enter your product key be sure to click "Next" or press Enter, but not "Activate Windows online now".  If you have any problems with activating let me know. 

After you've activated, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click "Validate Windows".  Again, let me know if that doesn't go smoothly for you. My guess is that should clear up the issues with you missing features. Thanks!

Monday, December 11, 2006 6:18 PM
  • Here is the error I receive

"The product key you have entered willl ot work with this edition of Windows Vista.

You must either run Windows Vista Setup or enter a Windows Vista Ultimate product key."

I inserted the DVD from Explorer selected the DVD drive.....
        One of the problems I'm having is that it takes 30 seconds or so to get a directory listing in explorer. Every directory change results in this wait. search does not work at all, and Start>Help does not work at all.
    On instalation I chose to go on line to get the latest update. At the license screen I see Home basic, home premium, ultimate but not business, for which I have the key.

I chose to try a custom install to see if I had missed a screen.
    Result:
    Windows Installation and Setup has stopped working..... collecting more information....
     Do you want to send more information.... it may help Microsoft.

Monday, December 11, 2006 7:06 PM
  • Where did you get your copy of Windows Vista 6000 (RTM)?

I would suggest contacting your IT administrator to contact his Microsoft Account Manager to get the best level of support.

Many of the large corporations and institutions that have access to this are only testing at this point before deployment.

-phil

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:50 PM
  • I have the same problem EXACTLY.

And I got my copy of Windows and the product key from www.msdnaa.net as I'm setting it up for 20 lab machines in my college using 20 different keys. All of them need vista Ultimate key which we don't have!

Friday, December 15, 2006 6:49 AM
  • I am glad to know I'm not alone would you tell me the answers you find. I'll foward them to the professor who is in charge of this. In our case the university tec support will not be looking in to an upgrade for a symester and if history holds true the profs will not encourage the students to try out the new OS. It is available to those of us who figure it out on our own.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:28 AM
  • Dan:

Looking into the MSDNAA program - it seems that the licenses available on that web-site can be FAQ'ed here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx#keys

I do know that MSDN has Volume Licenses available for IT-administrator/large distribution use currently - however, I'm not sure if MSDN has retail product keys available just yet. Have you filed a support request there at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx? It sounds like you're looking for Retail Vista product keys, which may not be available yet.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:51 AM
  • O.K.
    I've forwarded the info to the professor in charge. With further testing I have found that vista is unstable with most of my programs so will return to XP and check it out in a few months. This will give time for compatability issues to at least be documented and posted at the site of the software I use.
    Currently some are saying they have a compatible version but it isn't working at all for me.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:27 AM