Replace motherboard computer wont work RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Emachines that the power supply went and took the motherboard out. I replaced the motherboard, processor, and memory. The only disc I have is the Emachines one. I ran the 2 discs the computer still does'nt work. It starts up gets to a screen that says your computer was shut down improperly do you want to start up in safe mode or normal either one I try it just shuts down again and starts back up. What can I do?

Friday, October 12, 2007 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Mitch,

This forum is for the support of Windows Genuine Advantage and your question does not appear to be related to WGA. I would suggest reporting your question in the Windows XP News Group at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

On a side note: Please be aware that Windows that come Pre-installed on a computer are only licensed to run on that computer. Since a computer is a compilation of part that can be chaged out, Microsoft has decided (when it comes to Licensing) that a computer is defined by the motherboard. If a computer's motherboard is replaced, it is a new (different) computer. The only exception to this is if the Manufacture replaced the motherboard with the exact same or equivilent motherboard.

So in your case, if your Emachine came with Windows pre-installed and you replaced the motherboard on your own(i.e. Emachine did not replace the motherboard) the Windows that originally came with computer is no longer Licensed to run on it any longer. (due to replacing the motherboard which makes it a diffrent computer)

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 12, 2007 6:57 PM
  •  mitch4166 wrote:

I have a Emachines that the power supply went and took the motherboard out. I replaced the motherboard, processor, and memory. The only disc I have is the Emachines one. I ran the 2 discs the computer still does'nt work. It starts up gets to a screen that says your computer was shut down improperly do you want to start up in safe mode or normal either one I try it just shuts down again and starts back up. What can I do?

Your eMachine recovery CD will only work with
    the eMachine motherboard.  If you replaced the
    motherboard with a non-eMachine motherboard,
    the eMachine OEM Windows XP license is no longer
    valid.  You'll need to purchase a conventional
    "Full Version" of Windows XP and proceed with
    a "Repair Install".

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I don't understand why I have to buy a new XP when I paid for one when I bought the computer. The computer is only about 3 yrs. old. Emachines will not own up to there mistake.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:07 PM
  • The eMachine OEM license for Windows XP was designed to only work within the presence of an eMachine motherboard.  If you installed a non-eMachine motherboard, the license will not recognize the non-eMachine motherboard.  Hence, a new Windows XP license is required.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Mitch,

This forum is for the support of Windows Genuine Advantage and your question does not appear to be related to WGA. I would suggest reporting your question in the Windows XP News Group at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

On a side note: Please be aware that Windows that come Pre-installed on a computer are only licensed to run on that computer. Since a computer is a compilation of part that can be chaged out, Microsoft has decided (when it comes to Licensing) that a computer is defined by the motherboard. If a computer's motherboard is replaced, it is a new (different) computer. The only exception to this is if the Manufacture replaced the motherboard with the exact same or equivilent motherboard.

So in your case, if your Emachine came with Windows pre-installed and you replaced the motherboard on your own(i.e. Emachine did not replace the motherboard) the Windows that originally came with computer is no longer Licensed to run on it any longer. (due to replacing the motherboard which makes it a diffrent computer)

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 12, 2007 6:57 PM
  •  mitch4166 wrote:

I have a Emachines that the power supply went and took the motherboard out. I replaced the motherboard, processor, and memory. The only disc I have is the Emachines one. I ran the 2 discs the computer still does'nt work. It starts up gets to a screen that says your computer was shut down improperly do you want to start up in safe mode or normal either one I try it just shuts down again and starts back up. What can I do?

Your eMachine recovery CD will only work with
    the eMachine motherboard.  If you replaced the
    motherboard with a non-eMachine motherboard,
    the eMachine OEM Windows XP license is no longer
    valid.  You'll need to purchase a conventional
    "Full Version" of Windows XP and proceed with
    a "Repair Install".

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I don't understand why I have to buy a new XP when I paid for one when I bought the computer. The computer is only about 3 yrs. old. Emachines will not own up to there mistake.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:07 PM
  • The eMachine OEM license for Windows XP was designed to only work within the presence of an eMachine motherboard.  If you installed a non-eMachine motherboard, the license will not recognize the non-eMachine motherboard.  Hence, a new Windows XP license is required.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:30 PM