Where did my duplication go? RRS feed

• Question

• Via my WHS Console server storage display I had seen that my server was showing much more available space than I knew I had. At first I couldn't figure out why it would do this when I hadn't added additional drive space. Then I had realized that I was missing the majority of my 'duplication' files. I have duplication turned on for all folders except one.

Screenshots:
    http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=51970466we5.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=74623225bc0.jpg

I rebooted the server and still the issue remained. I've not seen this before previously and am worried whether or not I should be worried.

The box is a 3.0Mhz P4 w/ HT & 2GB DDR2 800 Ram.

Can anyone help explain what caused this and any further steps I should take to both correct and prevent in the future?

Thank you.
    beLIEve

-beLIEve
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:31 PM

Answers

• beLIEve said:

I am using PP1, though I am not sure how to determine which version. When I am at the console and choose the resources option it doesn't state the exact version.

I would like to make it known that upon rebooting the WHS it seems as if the duplication is rebuilding. Each time I sign into the console the size of duplication is larger. Whatever caused it to go missing seems to have been corrected after the reboot.

-beLIEve

When you look in the resources tab you should look at "Version Information".  Version should be 6.0.1800.0 for each of the components listed.

The behaviour you're describing doesn't sound normal to me. AFAIK the console should always show the correct amount of duplication, even though the actual duplication can take a sigificant amount of time.

Please submit a bug report as suggested by Lara Jones, then try disable / enable duplication
    Monday, September 22, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• beLIEve said:

Via my WHS Console server storage display I had seen that my server was showing much more available space than I knew I had. At first I couldn't figure out why it would do this when I hadn't added additional drive space. Then I had realized that I was missing the majority of my 'duplication' files. I have duplication turned on for all folders except one.

Screenshots:
    http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=51970466we5.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=74623225bc0.jpg

I rebooted the server and still the issue remained. I've not seen this before previously and am worried whether or not I should be worried.

The box is a 3.0Mhz P4 w/ HT & 2GB DDR2 800 Ram.

Can anyone help explain what caused this and any further steps I should take to both correct and prevent in the future?

Thank you.
    beLIEve

-beLIEve

Are you running Power Pack 1 (1800) or RTM (1500)?

If this is Power Pack 1, please file a bug for this on Connect in the feedback section.  If you are not already registered, you will have to register and join the program

We will need CABs for the server and there is a section on how to include those here.

Once we have the bug, we can follow up with you via Connect.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:48 PM
  • After you have filed the bug report on Connect (please do, this will help WHS team analyze the cause of the problem and hopefully prevent future occurences) you can try to:

Disable / enable duplication for all of your shares, also enable / disable for the share which currently has duplication disabled.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I am using PP1, though I am not sure how to determine which version. When I am at the console and choose the resources option it doesn't state the exact version.

I would like to make it known that upon rebooting the WHS it seems as if the duplication is rebuilding. Each time I sign into the console the size of duplication is larger. Whatever caused it to go missing seems to have been corrected after the reboot.

-beLIEve
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:42 PM
  • beLIEve said:

I am using PP1, though I am not sure how to determine which version. When I am at the console and choose the resources option it doesn't state the exact version.

-beLIEve

When you look in the resources tab you should look at "Version Information".  Version should be 6.0.1800.0 for each of the components listed.

The behaviour you're describing doesn't sound normal to me. AFAIK the console should always show the correct amount of duplication, even though the actual duplication can take a sigificant amount of time.

Please submit a bug report as suggested by Lara Jones, then try disable / enable duplication
    Monday, September 22, 2008 10:15 PM
  • OH OH! i no the answer to this!!! umm welll this happen to me about 1 month ago where it totally just disappeard out of no where i was watching its self delete itsself. and i restarted and it still was the same. what i did to resolve this was go to the tab where it has my folders disable all duplication then reenable it and it started to duplicate it again it took about 10 min from the time i reenable it to do anything but it did work and its worked fine since!!
    There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:45 AM