Difference in Product Keys? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between the Product ID that my Help menu - About... - lists and the one that supposedly comes in the box, except for the number of characters (the one in my program is 20 characters and the one in the box is supposed to be 25).  At one point in trying to get support, the support site asks for the 20 character code.  Yet the validation/activation process asks for the 25 character code.  I am missing my code from the box because my husband inadvertantly threw the box away. 

Donna

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:38 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Donna, you need the code from inside the box to activate OneCare. The Product ID is not the key for activation, it is a code that identifies the product/version. The 20 character code is found in Help/About in OneCare and is used in the support flow (when it works properly).

For activation you will need that unique 25 character code from inside the box.

You may want to look into this deal for a possible savings so you don't need to purchase another copy at full retail price - http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2008/01/28/windows-live-onecare-free-or-less-than-free-at-amazon/

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:39 AM