Repair Install activation probelm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a Windows Genuine Advantage kit from microsoft upon sending them my orginal cd. I was going to back up my stuff but was having probelms with windows so I did a repair install to fix the probelm.  The probelm now is as I didn't have the orginally cd I used the replacement cd sent to me, I repaired the install and went to log in, now I have the probelm of I get a message asking me to activate windows before logging in.  I click OK and the Windows Product Activation window appears with the message "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit", which upon clicking on OK it logs out back to the login screen were if I log in again it keeps repeating the process.  I need to get into windows to copy the data from it before I can do a fresh install.  Any help please?
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:10 PM

Answers

• Thecapt,

It sounds like there is alot more  going on within your comptuer that a repair install just could not take care of. A clean install is the only other thing that I can suggest.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:37 PM

All replies

• thecapt,

I'm sorry that you are having issues.  I have reviewed your posts and have a suggestion for you to try.  To do this, you will need to start the computer that is experiencing the problem via the Windows XP Recovery Console.  To start your computer using the recovery console, follow these steps:

1) Insert the original release version of Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition CD in your computer's CD or DVD drive.

2) Restart your computer.

3) When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message appears, press any key.  This will start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

4) When the 'Welcome to Setup' screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5) When you are prompted, type the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows that you want to access from the Recovery Console and press ENTER.  For example, if you have one installation of Windows on the computer, type 1 and then press ENTER.

6) When you are prompted, type the Administrator password and press ENTER.

7) At the command prompt in the Recovery Console, you will need to CD (change directory) to the windows\system32 directory.

8) You will want to rename wgalogon.dll to something else (wgalogon.old).  You can do this by typing ren wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old.

Once you have completed these steps, exit the recovery console, remove the Windows XP CD from the CD/DVD drive and reboot normally.

Can you tell me did this resolve your issue?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:41 PM
  • nope didn't work, message at the logon screen is gone but still asks for activation on login and then as stated before it says windows is already activated.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:05 PM
  • TheCapt,

Thanks very much for the update. Can you give me a little more information about what your issues were with your previous copy of windows? Were you able to run the Diagnostics Tool before you did a reinstall? DId your copy of windows come on your computer when you bought it?

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:10 PM
  • the system came preinstalled with the orginal version of windows xp and worked fully up until this year when the wga messages started appearing. went through the options and got a windows advantage kit cd, but haven't had time til now to do a clean install of windows.  I was recently having probelms when starting the system up were it would login and hang, did a windows repair install (using the new windows cd)(which has made it load faster to the login screen) and then this error has occured.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:17 PM
  • Thecapt,

I want to ask... Have you tried to logon to safe mode?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:51 PM
  • well just had a try, logs into windows but hangs when the desktop load like before, is it possible that the activation messages I am getting are some sort of virus?

any ideas??
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:02 PM
  • just was playing around/ investergating, on boot into safe mode the explorer.exe is using 98% of the cpu, and on shutdown via ctrl+alt+del it comes up with a end now message for the explorer.  is it possible to replace the explorer in recovery console or I am completely of the tracks with the cause of the probelm??
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:59 PM
  • Thecapt,

Does your desktop boot up in safe mode or is it just hanging at startup?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:13 PM
  • desktop boots up but then hangs instantly, can't select anything or use the start button on the keyboard or other short cuts like start and break to open the system properties window.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:17 PM
  • Thecapt,

It sounds like there is alot more  going on within your comptuer that a repair install just could not take care of. A clean install is the only other thing that I can suggest.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:37 PM