80070005 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have downloaded Live Mesh on to a new laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit where I am logged on as an Administrator. However, I receive an Error Code 80070005. I have tried restarting, re-installing Live Mesh and disabling my virus protection and firewall. It makes no difference.

It works perfectly on my old 32-bitXP PC and a new Netbook running Windows 7.

Monday, February 1, 2010 11:52 AM

All replies

• I have downloaded Live Mesh on to a new laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit where I am logged on as an Administrator. However, I receive an Error Code 80070005. I have tried restarting, re-installing Live Mesh and disabling my virus protection and firewall. It makes no difference.

It works perfectly on my old 32-bitXP PC and a new Netbook running Windows 7.

This is a permissions error, meaning Access Denied.

Does Windows Update work on this PC? What security software is running?

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:28 PM
  • The anti-virus package is F-Secure supplied by my ISP,  Talk Talk. Windows Update is set to Automatic and seems to be working OK.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I split your post from the original thread.
    Can you tell me specifically when this error occurs?
    Does the install complete and this occurs when you sign in and hook up to your Mesh? Ot at some other point?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:53 PM
  • It occurs after I have downloaded Live Mesh on to the desktop and I try to Run it. I also see a small dialogue box that says "Installing Live Mesh" and that is very quickly replaced by a message saying "Uninstalling Live Mesh". At the same time the anti-virus software asks if I will aceept MOE Monitor being installed which I do. The process ends with a new icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and when I click on that, the dialogue box with the error message appears.

Live Mesh does not appear in the list of programmes reached through Control Panel.

The download arrives via me trying to add the laptop (Device) to the ring in Live Mesh. (The ring where I can see my XP Desktop and my Windows 7 Starter Notebook). I select Vista 64 bit as I cannot see the option to select Windows 7 64 bit.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:20 PM
  • You are selecting the correct installer for 64 bit Windows 7 - the one labeled for Vista x64.

The fact that our are getting a prompt from the a/v software about allowing Live Mesh tells me that it is blocking the install and likely causing it to fail. Once blocked, the installer rolls back, but one component is then being allowed, hence the strange result of the Live Mesh icon ending up in the system tray, but no Live Mesh install.

You should not need to disable your a/v or firewall in most cases, but it sure seems like that's the interference in this case.
    The installation starts with a stub, which you downloaded, and includes a check of the system and further downloads as needed via the Windows Update pipeline, hence the need to have the updated Windows Update Agent installed.

The access denied error seems also to indicate that something is blocking changes to the registry or locations on the PC where Live Mesh needs to be installed.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:00 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. It installed fine on XP and a Windows 7 home starter pc - just errors on my Windows 7 home premium version. Have diabeled everything and it still won't work. Shame as it is great technology - help anyone?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:05 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. It installed fine on XP and a Windows 7 home starter pc - just errors on my Windows 7 home premium version. Have diabeled everything and it still won't work. Shame as it is great technology - help anyone?

Are you downloading and saving the file or downloading and selecting run?
    If you save the file, where are you saving it to?
    Are you installing while logged in as an administrative user?
    Can you try creating a new Windows Login/User and installing under that login?
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Originally I downloaded Live Mesh into a Download folder that I had created on the Desktop.  I have an Administrator account.

I have just tried the same process using my wife's account after changing that to an Administrator account. I even disabled the virus protection and firewall but it made no difference. Windows Update is completely up to date.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Instead of downloading to a Desktop folder, select Run when you click the download link and it begins the download. Do this on an account with administrative privileges. Alternatively, download the installer to a folder that is not on the desktop and not within the \Users branch - create a new folder \temp off the root of the drive and see if that helps.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:30 PM
  • I followed the instructions but the error message was the same and the laptop still did not appear in the ring. However, when I selected the Desktop, the functionailty of Live Mesh was there and I have been able to upload files which are then accessible from other computers. When I log on to LiveMesh from one of my other computers, the laptop still does not appear in the ring.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Well, it won't appear in the Mesh since your installation is failing on the PC with that 80070005 error, indicating a permissions problem.
    Is the netbook an Acer, per chance? http://www.fanatic.net.nz/2007/03/14/how-to-stop-dep-crashing-messenger-on-vista/
    Do you use Windows Live Messenger? If so, does it work?
    -steve

Monday, February 22, 2010 8:27 PM
  • The laptop was supplied by Mesh Computers as was the Netbook and the desktop. I've never tried Messenger.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Well, the thought about Acer was that others were reporting this error for Acer computers and Windows Live Messenger.
    So, at this point you're looking at a problem with permissions on the PC - it may be security software related, could even be a malware infection that is live or removed with permissions being a residual effect. The best I can offer won't resolve your issue, but that would be to open a bug report.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:07 PM