Stolen software and EULA RRS feed

• Question

• I had a computer stolen last week that contained an installation of Windows XP Pro from a
    retail package.  To be specific, it was installed on a mac running Bootcamp software.  My question is, if reinstall the software on a replacement computer, does that violate the EULA?  At this point, it's not a huge deal to add the cost of a new XP license to the insurance claim but I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

Along those lines, is there anywhere I can report the stolen license keys to MS so they can disable them should the thieves actually try to use it?

Thanks in advance,
    ABG

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:11 AM

Answers

• How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Hello ABG,

To add to Carey's post, I would recommend using the contact information provided in the link and they should be able to point you in the right direction regarding your licensing questions as well as seeing if it would be possible to block the product key.  They should be able to provide you with a replacement software and product key as so you will not have to worry about any licensing issues.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:06 PM

All replies

• How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Hello ABG,

To add to Carey's post, I would recommend using the contact information provided in the link and they should be able to point you in the right direction regarding your licensing questions as well as seeing if it would be possible to block the product key.  They should be able to provide you with a replacement software and product key as so you will not have to worry about any licensing issues.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:06 PM