Home Server Hardware Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon all

I have decided to have a go at building a home server  for file storage and back up and would be grateful for comments on the following hardware. I have never put together a PC before but am happy to pull PCs apart for upgrading cards/memory etc and am told if I can do that then a full build is not really that difficult.

Antec Atlas case which comes with a 550W power supply

Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R ATX Mobo - has onboard sound, video, gigabit LAN, 8 SATA ports

Intel Core Duo processor E8400 3.0Ghz FSB1333 4Mb - is this a bit overkill for a file server that I do not think will be required to do any processing (though who knows what the future holds)? Is the intel stock cooler Ok or should I seek a silent cooling option.

2 x Kingston 1GB 1150MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) - again is this a bit overkill or is faster RAM better in a server

2 x Samsung 750GB (or maybe 1TB) HDDs (+ 2 WD 320GB drives I have lying around) - if I install 4 HDDs will I need to cool them. I have had problems before where 2 HDDs mounted together kept overheating and failing - at least I assume that was what was happening as sticking a fan at the front of the case seemed to solve it

DVD Rom

Windows Home Sever OEM

I should be able to get all that for around the same price (maybe a fraction more) as one of the HP mediasmart servers but will end up with more memory and bigger HDDs

How difficult is it to install WHS once the rig is built? Any problems re drivers / SATA drivers etc?

Any help greatly appreciated

Jon

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:56 PM

All replies

• The fine print for my AMD processor stated that using any fan/cooler but the one accompanying the chip would void the warranty. Suggest you might check whether this is the also the case with your Intel CoreDuo/C2D if it was purchased as a retail package with fan included.

Monday, June 23, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Personally I would go with the cheaper E7200, but even that is overkill for most WHS boxes. WIth the E8400 getting cheaper, get the best deal you can Smile

Faster RAM probably won't help. It is better when you're overclocking and want to match raw CPU speeds, but WHS isn't so CPU intensive. Still, RAM is cheap these days.

I've seen modern drives run with no extra cooling (other than the standard case airflow). It depends on your environment and case conditions, but go ahead and stick a fan in front if you're planning to run hard drives together. Most cases will have an intake fan blowing right over the hard drive mounts, but I don't know about your specific case.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 5:05 PM