Can I export data using an Excel email list as my search criteria? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list of 550 or so email addresses I need to change to Do Not Allow Bulk Emails.

My question is can I use an excel or .CSV file of those email addresses to identify and export the users for reimport so I can quickly change them all at once? Otherwise I will have to search for them individually and click them off one by one.

I hope I am being clear enough. I do not know how to set up a contact search for that many emails, I'd have to do it using a file to look them all up. Thanks!

John

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi John - The short answer is no :(  You can't import a list to build a match query. But this is the workaround I use all the time.

1 - Create a view with just the minimum fields (e-mail, do not allow bulk E-mails, etc.)

2 - Export the view (be sure to select make this export available to re-import)

3 - Open the Exported XML and your CSV file in Excel

4 - Do a vlookup Excel formula on the E-mail to see which of your Active Contacts are in the CSV list and update the

5 - Update the Do Not Allow Bulk E-mail field in your Export from the results in #4

6 - Re-import the Exported XML file

Note:  Be sure to temporarily suspend any De-Dupe rules you might have running while you do the re-import

If some of these terms (XML, vlookup, De-Dupe rules, etc.) be sure to poke around on YouTube and other internet searches.  The update process is quite sensitive, you'll likely inadvertently create several duplicate imports before you get it right with an update.  You can easily delete the imported records in bulk by looking at the Data Management section.

Good Luck.

Tom

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi John - The short answer is no :(  You can't import a list to build a match query. But this is the workaround I use all the time.

1 - Create a view with just the minimum fields (e-mail, do not allow bulk E-mails, etc.)

2 - Export the view (be sure to select make this export available to re-import)

3 - Open the Exported XML and your CSV file in Excel

4 - Do a vlookup Excel formula on the E-mail to see which of your Active Contacts are in the CSV list and update the

5 - Update the Do Not Allow Bulk E-mail field in your Export from the results in #4

6 - Re-import the Exported XML file

Note:  Be sure to temporarily suspend any De-Dupe rules you might have running while you do the re-import

If some of these terms (XML, vlookup, De-Dupe rules, etc.) be sure to poke around on YouTube and other internet searches.  The update process is quite sensitive, you'll likely inadvertently create several duplicate imports before you get it right with an update.  You can easily delete the imported records in bulk by looking at the Data Management section.

Good Luck.

Tom

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:59 PM
  • Thank you, Tom! I thought my method would not work, but your method is definitely workable!

Cheers,

John

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:09 PM