Windows firewall blocks FTP access RRS feed

• Question

• I have about had it with live one care, as its nearly impossible to manage what it is doing.  I am trying to upload wordpress to a url on my remote server using FTP Voyager on XP.  I have used this program for a long time (and have upgraded).  It is listed on the exception/allow list in the firewall.  It will allow me to log into the server, browse etc with no problem.  As soon as I try to upload wordpress, it gets about 20 files in then it blocks all access to the server and shuts down the connection.  If I restart the program, I can then load another 20 files or so, same thing happens.  Since wordpress has thousands of files, I really dont think this is the way to go if I want to finish before next week.

In addition, I have the dreaded MsMpEng.exe which is linked to onecare that I think is trying to scan/do something with the files.  It ends up grabbing 25% of the CPU when I am uploading (it does this in concert with the firewall blocking the connection).  Actually this exe is always a pain in the ____, I usually have to use task manager and just end process, as it does this at other times too, not just when using FTP.  Of course it starts right back up if I kill the process - but if I just let it do what it wants, sometimes it will hold up the file I am trying to access for as long as 5 minutes while it "looks" at it or whatever buggy ____ thing it is doing.

How can I get this dang thing to allow me to FTP upload - my first choice is to just uninstall it and dont even bother with it, as it has been a pain since I got it installed a few months ago.  But since I paid for it, I figure I should try to get it to work.  Sorry if I sound a little bitter, its just this is the umpteenth time something like this happens causing loss of time and work.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:39 AM

Answers

• The fact that you can connect to the FTP server and can upload files before losing the connection indicates that it is *not* the OneCare firewall causing your problem. If the OneCare firewall were blocking the connection, it would fail to connect to the server with no connection available. The connection and the file upload use the same port/protocol, so the fact that it starts and works for some files means that the OneCare firewall is correctly configured. OneCare would not allow the connection for a time and then kill it or block it.
    You can confirm that OneCare is not the issue by opening OneCare and clicking on Change Settings, then disable the firewall. Make your FTP connection and upload the files. If it still fails, it isn't the OneCare firewall, If it is successful, repeatedly, with the firewall off, I'd be surprised and would then agree that the OneCare firewall is playing a role in the problem.
    As for the msmpeng CPU usage during the transfer, there may be a conflict causing this or it may be normal. msmpeng is indeed the scan engine, so as the files are accessed for transfer, they are being scanned. I don't know that I'd expect 25% CPU usage by the scan engine, though, unless something else was at play causing a deadlock with msmpeng when it is trying to get access to the files for the scan. If you have no other security software installed/running, you may be able to workaround the issue by going to the virus and spyware tab in Change Settings and setting an exclusion for the folder containing the files you are going to be transferring. That way OneCare won't scan that location.
    Of course, the best thing to do is determine what may be causing the conflict. It may well be that both issues are being caused by the same thing. You may want to contact support to have this investigated. 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:30 PM