EX 475 knocks off network/internet RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a weird problem.

I upgraded the memory and hard drive on my EX475 home server.

Now when it's on all my other computer loose their network connection.

If i disconnect the Server or shut it down everything is fine.

I tried changing the ip address to static to no avail same issue.

Any thoughts would we great.

Andrew
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,
    did you enable DHCP Server on your EX475 (which is unsupported and against the EULA)? In this case it might hand out a wrong IP configuration to the clients.

Does this connection loss happen immediatly or after a while?
    Can you post the output of the command line
    ipconfig /all
    on both a client and the server (the later only, if you can still reach it from a client), otherwise the client output twice, one time while connectivity exists, one time while not?

In worst case I could also imagine, that your NIC on the server is causing a circuit (forgetten screw, scratch on mainboard, damage in the NIC port, wrong inserted cable?) on the network connection and therefore disturbs connectivity.

Since you upgraded the harddrive - which one? The system disk or another one?

Best greetings from Germany'
    Olaf

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Andrew,

Like Olaf asked, did you replace the main OS drive or did you replace the secondary drive?

If you replaced the OS drive and reinstalled WHS original, then you may have done just as Olaf mentioned by accident and enabled DHCP functionality.

If you did not replace the main OS drive then it is possible that when you took the server offline another computer on the network snatched its IP address and now when the server comes online it causes address conflicts... I dare say the server may even be trying to take the routers gateway address since the entire network is fouled while it is running.

I suggest shutting off every PC/Mac and the server, clearing any reserved IP addresses in your router and then reboot the server while all other PCs/Macs stay offline. Once you have an IP and can log in to the server, lock the IP in the network settings and lock it in the router settings... that is how I dealt with this problem when I had to take the server offline while the rest of the network was on DHCP.

Best of luck,

Daemonfox

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:01 PM