Upgrading Hard Drive Firmware RRS feed

• Question

• As it turns out, all 3 hard drives in my WHS are on Seagate's list of drives that should have their firmware upgraded (ST3500320NS, 500 GB ES.2 SATA).

I am curious how WHS treats hard drives after the firmware upgrade. Are they seen as new drives?

Should I just shut down the WHS, upgrade the firmware in all 3 hard drives and then power back up?

Or should I remove each hard from the storage pool drive before upgrading the firmware and then add it back to the storage pool?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:50 PM

Answers

• Generally, upgrading the firmware doesn't change the drive's serial number, so I don't believe that WHS will have any problems with doing so. However, you will have to try it and see; I don't have a drive that needs it's firmware updated to try for you. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

• Generally, upgrading the firmware doesn't change the drive's serial number, so I don't believe that WHS will have any problems with doing so. However, you will have to try it and see; I don't have a drive that needs it's firmware updated to try for you. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Hello Fuzzy, I had the same issue. 3 1TB drives needing the ROM update. I downed the server and removed them one at a time to my computer with a CD ROM drive. I updated all 3 drives and rebooted the server and everything was fine.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Thank you. That is good to know as I am still waiting to hear from Seagate about the updated firmware for my ES.2 drives.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:52 PM