Cannot Associate Archive with Front End RRS feed

• Question

• Im trying to setup the archiving server following the deployment guide which states:

To associate an Office Communications Server 2007 with the Archiving and CDR Service

1.       Log on as a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group to the Office Communications Server 2007 whose traffic you want to archive.

2.       Click Start, click Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Office Communications Server 2007.

3.       In the console tree, expand the Forest node, expand the Domains node, expand the domain in which you installed the Archiving and CDR Service, and then do one of the following:

·         If you installed the Archiving and CDR Service on an Enterprise Edition pool, expand Enterprise pools.

·         If you installed the Archiving and CDR Service on a Standard Edition server, expand Standard Edition Servers.

4.       Right-click the name of the server or pool where you installed the Archiving and CDR Service, click Properties, and then click Front End Properties.

5.       Click the Archiving tab.

6.       On the Archiving tab, in the Office Communications Server list, click the name of the server where you installed the Archiving and CDR Service, and then click Associate.

7.       In the Associate Queue Path dialog box, click Message queue path name, and then type the name of the server where messages will be archived. When you are finished, click OK.

8.       If you installed the Archiving and CDR Service on an Enterprise Edition pool, repeat steps 5 through 7 for each server in the pool.

9.       To enable archiving, select the Activate content archiving check box.

When I right click the pool as described in step 4, 'Properties' is not an available choice.  I thought maybe I missed an installation step but I can't figure out what I'm missing here.  The archiving service and activation completed without error, I just can't associate the pool with the service.

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:03 PM

Answers

• Properties in EE is a little confusing - but can be changed to view the same as a SE server...see below:

By default, Enterprise pool properties are partitioned by server role.  For example, the pool level properties are portioned by “Front Ends”, “Web Conferencing”, “A/V Conferencing”, and “Web Components”.  You can see these roles underneath the pool icon.  For example, to modify Front End properties, right click on the Front End folder.  Here’s a screen shot for illustration:

It’s also possible to look at the Enterprise pool properties in “server view”, which makes them appear in the MMC like they do in the Standard Edition servers.  To make this change, right click on the Microsoft Office 12 Live Server… icon (above the forest).   You will see an option for “View Options”.  If you click on this, you’ll get the following dialog:

If you switch to “Organize servers as list”, you’ll see a similar presentation that you see for Standard Edition servers.  (You have to exit and re-enter the MMC first.) This is shown below:

Friday, April 6, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• That is odd. I haven't seen this before. Just some thoughts:

Did the installation go fine before this? What server are you attempting to this on? What user are you using?

Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:02 AM
  • This is a fresh install, clean as could be.  I'm attempting to do this from both the logging server as well as the OCS server using domain\administrator.  Seems like I may just be missing a set of admin tools, I'll have more time to play with it later to confirm.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:17 PM
  • Properties in EE is a little confusing - but can be changed to view the same as a SE server...see below:

By default, Enterprise pool properties are partitioned by server role.  For example, the pool level properties are portioned by “Front Ends”, “Web Conferencing”, “A/V Conferencing”, and “Web Components”.  You can see these roles underneath the pool icon.  For example, to modify Front End properties, right click on the Front End folder.  Here’s a screen shot for illustration:

It’s also possible to look at the Enterprise pool properties in “server view”, which makes them appear in the MMC like they do in the Standard Edition servers.  To make this change, right click on the Microsoft Office 12 Live Server… icon (above the forest).   You will see an option for “View Options”.  If you click on this, you’ll get the following dialog:

If you switch to “Organize servers as list”, you’ll see a similar presentation that you see for Standard Edition servers.  (You have to exit and re-enter the MMC first.) This is shown below:

Friday, April 6, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Hi REDMANG,

Can you let us know the status of your issue? Did Brian's suggestions help? Would you share it with the forum? If not, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:59 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply, I havn't had much time to work with this project lately.  That seemed to clear it up, I couldn't find it for the life of me in the other view.  Thanks for your help!
    Friday, May 4, 2007 7:36 PM