none
Will the exams 70-526 and 70-548 be replaced? RRS feed

• Question

• Exams 70-526 & 70-548 will be retired shortly. I want to know if both the exams will be replaced? If so, will I need to learn additional content to take the new exams

or will I be able to qualify with the knowledge of the .net framework 2.0? 

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the old technology exams are retired and only newer technology exams / certifications are available. And of course you have to learn new stuff. So new technology is introduced and stuff invented in the past becomse obsolete.

That is the normal cycle with microsoft exams. So .Net Framework 2.0 exams will no longer be available. Instead you should simply focus on .Net 3.5 and 4.0 exams.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

If you take the 3.5 exams should be ok.
    70-526 and the 3.5 Exam 70-505 are very similar, look up new features on the MSDN.
    Maybe worth purchasing measureup.com practice exams.

There is no new study material for MCPD Win 3.5 so I used 70-458, again check differences, but basically not much difference between 2.0 and 3.5.

4.0 is a different story MCTSs for WCF and ADO.Net (Includes LINQ and Entity Framework) are required for MCPD.  Also the Windows exam is mainly WPF.  But 3.5 should be fine.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Entered but failed to save before Konrad's comments, I agree with Konrad 4.0 is a better choice unless you are well down the 2.0 certification preparation then maybe 3.5 would be a better option.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the old technology exams are retired and only newer technology exams / certifications are available. And of course you have to learn new stuff. So new technology is introduced and stuff invented in the past becomse obsolete.

That is the normal cycle with microsoft exams. So .Net Framework 2.0 exams will no longer be available. Instead you should simply focus on .Net 3.5 and 4.0 exams.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

My study material is based on .net framework 2.0. Do you think I will be able to pass the exam without having to buy new study material?

Also, do you perhaps know what the new exams's name and number will be?

Regards

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

I would always try to get the new books. But it is possible to just look at the exam description on the homepage and go through all the tested areas and read about it on MSDN Library.

All Visual Studio exams can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx.

The named exams normaly link to the "exam homepage" containing the "Skills Measured".

My personal optinion is to concentrate on the 4.0 exams and get new books (a lot is changed and the basic exam 70-536 no longer exist. The old books are really out of date with 4.0 so you have to read about the ASp.Net or ADo.Net stuff again.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

If you take the 3.5 exams should be ok.
    70-526 and the 3.5 Exam 70-505 are very similar, look up new features on the MSDN.
    Maybe worth purchasing measureup.com practice exams.

There is no new study material for MCPD Win 3.5 so I used 70-458, again check differences, but basically not much difference between 2.0 and 3.5.

4.0 is a different story MCTSs for WCF and ADO.Net (Includes LINQ and Entity Framework) are required for MCPD.  Also the Windows exam is mainly WPF.  But 3.5 should be fine.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Entered but failed to save before Konrad's comments, I agree with Konrad 4.0 is a better choice unless you are well down the 2.0 certification preparation then maybe 3.5 would be a better option.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:31 PM