Setup: After installing the Windows Home Server software, I can not connect to my home server from one of my PCs. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Windows Home Server software on my home server, but I can not connect from my home PCs.   What might be wrong?
    Friday, February 9, 2007 9:31 PM

Answers

• After an installation of Windows Home Server you should check to make sure the network interface card (NIC) driver has been installed correctly.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:58 PM

All replies

• After an installation of Windows Home Server you should check to make sure the network interface card (NIC) driver has been installed correctly.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Another thing that can cause this is the DNS/WINS setup. For example many IT type people run their own DNS or some such at home for other testing. My example is that I have a domain at home. The alias "server" when looked up in DNS (with the primary suffix of the machines I have set to home.hammersoftsolutions.com) ended up resolving to an address outside my home as server.hammersoftsolutions.com which doesn't even exist. End of story, client failed. I had to go find that record in my DC's DNS and kill it. It was there with a huge TTL and it took me 30 minutes to figure out why the heck my client couldn't connect. Anyway, you won't run into this type of thing in the true consumer environment but it can come up during the beta with tech people.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Since your WHS box is headless.

Intsall a video card, plug in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Power off and on.  Then click on the device mgr icon on the desktop. and correct the nic issue.

Still......Grey

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:45 AM
  • Joel, this isn't on topic, but there is no way (that I can figure out) how to get a hold of you...

Why would my thread has been deleted? It appears to have been. Drop me an email if you prefer to get a hold of me that way,

It was related to an issue with a client connector throwing an error and not connecting to the WHS.

xxdesmus at that google email service.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:39 AM
  • This does not sound right. The original poster states that he/she "can not connect to my home server from *one* of my PCs". If the server network card driver was not installed correctly, then surely *none* of the client PCs would be able to connect... But the implication in the original post is that other client PCs in the home network are in fact connecting.

Geoff Coupe

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Yep, the NIC is installed and working correctly ... this is a widely known bug (check the Connect feedback area) ... no one seems to have a definitive solution for this though.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:40 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I can access the shares, but the connector errors out when it tries to connect.  I have tried this on two computers.  Both computers will let me remote administer my Windows Home Server over the web interface, and access shares, but neither will connect by the home connector.

It may be related to a problem I had on installation.  Every name that I typed in (including the default "server") would give an error saying this name already exists on the network.  The first time I installed, I got around this by unplugging my network cable.  I tried to re-install after having the problems I already mentioned, and this time the only way it would let me continue is if I put a number in for the computer name, which it then made me change when it tried to actually name the computer that (since the name cannot be a number).

I have 2 network cards in this machine, only one of them hooked up and installed, the other is disabled.  Does anyone have any ideas that may help me???

Friday, March 2, 2007 12:37 AM
  • i get the same thing, I have installed the correct driver and everything, and now none of my computers can ping each other, when I run the setup, the computer cant see the WHS at all. And I cant connect to the WHS anymore, eventhough we are in the same workgroup.

I have 4 items on my network, 2 pcs 1 xbox and the WHS machine. any help would be nice.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:10 PM
  • Also check that the IP address/Subnet range/Workgroup name are correct for your network setup.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 10:41 AM
  • You also need to install the Home Server Connector on all PC's that will be clients of the Home Server
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:28 AM
  •  

i have the same problem,  i can ping my homeserver from the pc, i can also see shared folders on the homeserver, but the homeserver conector failes every time i try to connect, firedwalls and antivirus is disconnected during the test.

help ! :-)

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:21 AM
  • Not enough info.

1. Check your netcard , cables or driver for it.

2. Don't forget - make shares

3. Enable users - Guest, User - See my computer- right button-manage

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:06 PM
  • I ran into the same issue, had to configure my 3 party firewalls to allow the connection to the Home Server.

Sir Stox

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:30 AM
  • What about if the NIC is ok? I can connect via Remote Desktop without a problem, but the actual Connect setup fails with an unknown error. I've seen a few workarounds, but nothing seems to be doing the trick here.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 3:04 AM
  • I am having the same issue.

I can ping the server IP address and do an nbtstat and see the server.  I install the Connector software and get an "Unknown network error has occurred"  on a Windows XP Profesional SP2 client and a XP Home SP2 client.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Have you run the Home Server Connector Software on the other PC? You can either download it and burn it to a disc or put it onto a Flash Drive to transfer it to the other computer.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:37 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  The connect cd isn't working on any of the four systems (3 laptops and 1 personal computer) that I have.  The NIC card on the WHS is on and functioning and I can get to the server through the IP or the browser, but the server won't list any of the pc's.  Is there any place on here that lists all the standard settings in the router/firewall/registry on the systems trying to run the connect software?

The funny thing is, my laptop can see the shares through the "My network places" and can access them, upload/download files from them, but still the server doesn't see any of the systems.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I cannot connect either.  Is there a "list" I can go down to check for possible solutions?  I can see the Server in my router.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:53 PM
  • I'm having issues connecting to my Home Server now after previous success.

I didn't check before but I can't access a web page using IE.

Can't ping www.msn.com from DOS.

Can't ping my gateway 192.168.1.1

Can't activate because it won't find a connection.

From other PCs on NW I can't ping my Home Server 192.168.1.87 (set manually in NW settings)

• Adding respond to echo request in Firewall Settings

Changed NW cable (green lights at both ends)

Are there other ways to check besides looking for the yellow ?mark in device manager and checking properties indicates device is working properly?

If the nw card worked before | nothing changed I can't fathom why it would not work now... any suggestions?

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:12 AM