Vista or OneCare limiting program's running RRS feed

• Question

•  I just installed OneCare on an older XP laptop; I'd had it on my Vista laptop since I bought it.  I thought the continuing "allow" and other prevention schemes when I opened programs were Vista's pains.  However, the XP laptop, since OneCare installed, is doing the same thing.

Is it OneCare which is the firewall culprit?

If OneCare is the reason, then:    How can I tell OneCare that certain programs I've installed on my PC (Vista or XP) are ok to open at all times (financial programs, etc.)?

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:45 PM

Answers

• The OneCare firewall will prompt you for programs that need network access if they are unrecognized. Once you've approved the access, it should not prompt you the next time you use the program unless that program has changed.

You can see the list of approved or blocked programs and also add them manually to the list by opening OneCare, clicking change settings, Firewall tab, Advanced, and the Programs tab.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• The OneCare firewall will prompt you for programs that need network access if they are unrecognized. Once you've approved the access, it should not prompt you the next time you use the program unless that program has changed.

You can see the list of approved or blocked programs and also add them manually to the list by opening OneCare, clicking change settings, Firewall tab, Advanced, and the Programs tab.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Steve-

Thanks for the input.

I went to the Advanced>Programs tab.  Both of my financial programs, Fidelity's Active Trader Pro, and Shwab's Street Smart Pro, are in the list; even the correct versions are listed.

However, I can open the Fidelity program without hindrence but not the Schwab program.  Where should I look to find out why this happens?

In addition, I have  not  observed that, for any installed program (on my PC), once I approve the access, that "it should not prompt you the next time you use the program unless that program has changed" - it keeps prompting me again and again.  One example is Telechart.  FWIW, when I added it to OneCare's Advanced>Programs tab it still wouldn't open without approving it.

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:50 PM
  • I'd start with OneCare support as it should respect the fact that it has been allowed already. I would doubt that it is always changing. On the firewall tab, do you have the setting to always prompt for access checked perchance?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:12 AM
  •   Alas, when I went to OneCare more than once, I couldn't get the 'change settings' to open; hence, I couldn't get to the firewall tab.  Perhaps I'll have to restart the PC. Is this problem one which the user encounters frequently?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  After restarting the PC I got to the 'firewall' tab.  On that I have

Notify me when the firewall blocks an app...     IS CHECKED

Always ask me whether to block or allow programs  IS UNCHECKED

How does this apply to my problem?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Had the second choice also been checked, I'd suspect that to be the cause for the continual blocks and prompts.

Since it is unchecked and the problem persists, I really think you should contact support.

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  I have gone into OneCare's settings to 'add' programs I've installed on my laptop which I don't want to be queried about as to open or not.  For some of these that has worked; for others, for no apparent reason (I've already discussed this in the OneCare forum) I'm still asked if it is ok to open the program.

Why is this happening?

Also, in the forum the person indicated that, even if I didn't "add" the program within settings, once I indicated I wanted to open the program ONCE, OneCare shouldn't block it the next time.  Is that true?

If so, that doesn't work either.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:54 PM
  • I've merged your new post to the original thread. I think you meant to contact support. Follow the instructions here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:04 PM