Firewall and virus monitoring constantly turns off on OneCare Circle Computers. RRS feed

• Question

• I have several computers in a OneCare circle. All run Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1 and are current. Several times every day I get the red OneCare (taskbar) Icon and when I check it shows the virus monitoring and firewall is off on one (or more) of the computers.There is a Turn-On icon on each message line - which does not seem to work very often. When I go to the offending computer(s) and turn the monitoring and firewall back on OneCare is happy for a few minutes, then I get the red icon again. When I check virus monitoring and the firewall is off again. Each computer reports the errors on each other computer, and sometimes on itself. This problem occurs on ALL computers several times everyday - I have run the firewall repair tool to no avail. Any ideas?
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:55 AM

Answers

• There is clearly something in common on all PCs in your Circle that is conflicting with OneCare and causing the services to fail. The fact that all of the PCs are reporting the problem about the other PCs in the Circle is because you made all of them into Hub PCs.

If you are unable to determine the conflict - typically other security software, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:57 PM

All replies

• There is clearly something in common on all PCs in your Circle that is conflicting with OneCare and causing the services to fail. The fact that all of the PCs are reporting the problem about the other PCs in the Circle is because you made all of them into Hub PCs.

If you are unable to determine the conflict - typically other security software, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi Steve, thanks for the input. Just to clarify - not all of my PCs are hub PCs. I have six PCs in my Circle (which means two copies of OneCare of course). I built all six PCs myself starting from empty cases. I have one Dell Precision 690 (Dual x5355 CPUs - 12X4GB RAM - V7600 GPU - 1xSeagate 500GB HDD with OS and 4x Seagate SAS 15k 146GB HDDS in RAID 10 with Perc5i); two Dell XPS 720s (both with Q9450 CPUs - 8GB RAM - ATI 3870 X2 GPUs 2xSeagate 750GB HDDs): Three Dell XPS 420s (All with Q6700s - 8GB RAM - NVidia GeForce NX7950GX2 GPUs). The two XPS 720s and the Precision 690 are Hub PCs but the three XPS 420s are not hubs. The Precision 690 and both XPS 720s run Vista Ultimate and the three XPS 420s run Vista Home Premium - all are SP1 - all have the latest BIOS available.

I do agree that there is something in common on all PCs that is in conflict with OneCare - but I have not been able to find out what. The reason I use OneCare (and ONLY OneCare and no other security software such as Norton 360) is to use a single vendor (Microsoft) as much as possible to reduce integration problems (I worked in IT for 35 years and have had enough vendor finger pointing). When there is a OneCare (perceived) problem each PC reports about the other PCs as well as itself (not that each reports only about others). However, they do not always all report the same thing at the same time. Some may show 'Green' but others show 'Red' (firewall down somewhere). Also, it is not unusual to have problem messages about two PCs at the same time. Each time OneCare reports that virus monitoring and firewall is down on a certain PC (or PCs) - it is in fact, down - but why? What is shutting it off? How can I determine that? Is it really down? - OneCare says yes, but Windows Firewall(in Control Panel and Administrative Tools) reports that the 'recommended settings' are not being used (message in red for firewall and yellow for virus monitoring) - but are those Vista settings in conflict with OneCare? This problem has been going on for several months - started before SP1 came out (and continues with SP1). Everything else with OneCare works fine (except for a problem with centralized backup - it will not allow more than 4 PCs to be in Centralized Backup if I select 'only hub PCs can change the backup plan' - but if I allow any PC to change the backup plan then all six can be in the centralized backup). Thanks!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Only a hub PC will report on the status of another PC in the Circle.

The Windows Firewall is disabled by OneCare.

In the second case, where the protection *is* actually failing, that would likely be due to a conflict. Do any of the problem PCs have NVidia motherboards mentioned in this post? NVIDIA n680i/650i/n780i Network Driver conflict with OneCare Fire...

A totally whacked system time can also cause the protection to be off, but I doubt that is your issue.

Other conflicting software that can cause a total failure of the firewall and/or the virus protection services would typically be other security software - antispyware, antivirus, firewall.

I don't think we've had this discussion before, but even with two copies of OneCare, if you have them all activated with the same LiveID to get them into a single Circle, you've configured your setup wrong for the licensing agreement. With each subscription you can have 3 PCs activated under a single LiveID. So, with 6 PCs, you need to activated subscriptions with *different* LiveIDs and that means two unique Circles. I suspect that your backup issue is because of this.

My recommendation after reviewing all of the above - if you can't determine what may be conflicting with OneCare, contact support to review the system details on one system at a time so as to avoid confusion. If the conflict is found on one PC, that may provide enough information for you to resolve the conflict on the other PCs.

Good luck.

-steve

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Steve - you've given me a lot to check into. I know right away that I have the situation in your third bullet (computers that are powered off being reported as having their firewall down) - thing is, when I power them up their firewall is down, so I thought the message was residual from when they were last up.

I will try the tool referenced in bullet #2 - is it different from the Firewall repair tool? I've already run that everywhere.

I do have NVidia based motherboards in both XPS 720's - (I have the YU682 which is 680i based and P611C - 790i). I'll look at that referenced article. I use wireless-N networking on all but one XPS 420 though.

I'm not sure what you mean by my configuration - putting all six in one circle - there is no other option during install (to use more than one LiveID - I only have one, since there is only one of me!). Also - the main reason I went with OneCare over Norton 360 (besides single-vendor) is the 'Circle' idea. I did buy one license of Norton 360 and basically like it - but really like the Circle idea (remember that OneCare did not work with Vista initially - and 360 did - but I have removed 360 completely). If I had to use two different Circles, that would entirely remove the convenience (and thus preference towards) OneCare.

Again - I have no other security, anti-spyware or firewall, etc software on these systems. Although I did use such things in the past with XP (and OneCare version 1 - i.e.: AdAware) - each and every one of these PCs has a clean install with Vista (starting from an NTFS format). In fact two were done over multiple times due to blue screen on install (turned out I had to much RAM for non-SP1 systems at the start). 

Oops - just got the Windows Live OneCare Action Required Message (my son just turned on one of the XPS 420s).

Anyway I will get busy looking into your suggestions and let you know the result - but it will probably be a few days.

btw .. you probably know about this - but have you tried IE7Pro yet? it's great to have spell check in these IE7 windows!

Thanks again for the great help! Bob

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:05 PM
  • If the firewall is down and stays down when you power the PC up, then the report on the hub for that PC when it is on or off is valid.

The tool I linked to is the same. I think your issue may well be the NVidia driver.

You may only have one LiveID, but that means that you only have one subscription. You may have two physical copies of OneCare, but you only used one retail key to start a single subscription. At this time, by license, you can only activate 3 computers using the same LiveID. So, if you have 6 computers, you need to create a second LiveID at http://account.live.com and activate PCs 4 through 6 with the second LiveID, entering the second key for #4 and just the LiveID for 5 and 6.

If you never use the key on the retail box, you are within compliance due to having paid for two subscriptions, but you didn't activate the second set correctly. If the subscription limit of 3 PCs is enforced, you will have problems since you have too many PCs on a single subscription at this point. :-)

Yep. I love IE7Pro with spell check. Unfortunately it doesn't work in the next version of the forum software. :-(

-steve

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  

Hi Steve, what's going on with the Forum? Alerts from Microsoft Forums

There's a new post in a Forums thread you are tracking !

I just a Forum notice - but it's to a thread that I do not subscribe to (although the notice states that I do). 

Then when I followed the link and hit the 'My Threads' Icon it showed only that thread (that I don't belong to). This thread (that you replied to) and the other I started are gone from My Threads. I had to get this thread link back via the previous email notice. 

I also see that you sent a Reply to this thread that I never received an email Notice for (and did not know about).

Your reply includes a note about IE7Pro spell check not being supported in a new version of the Forum. Is this that new version - fielded in Production Staus with errors? I see that speeelll check is definetely goneeee.

Bob

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Alerts tend to be sporadic. I know that there were problems with the forum platform most of Saturday, but don't know that Alerts were impacted.

This is still the old forum software. The new forums are quite different. I don't know when we will be switched, but there will be an announcement before it happens. Oh, and the new forum platform includes a spell checker, but it isn't "real time" like in IE7 Pro, but needs to be invoked from the tool bar of the new post dialog.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:24 PM