Time for a Processor RRS feed

• Question

• OK now I have the MOBO on it's way time for a Proc. A look at Newegg and Asus P5B-VM DO compatibility chart gives me a couple choices. 1. Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4 GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core 2. Pentium D 935 Presler 3.2GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core.

Both about the same price. Number 1 is slightly more money and seems to have lessor specs. So I'm guessing that it is a newer chip? It is also in stock at Newegg. Is number 2 a better choice?

Maybe someone has a better processor choice for my WHS? Would a Quad Core be worth the cost? I have the 32 bit version of WHS waiting. And 2Gig RAM. Not sure if 64 is available just thought it may be pertinent.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

• I would go for the core 2 processor, its more energy efficient and probably strong enough for what WHS needs. If you check out the cpu comprison chart at www.TomsHardware.com you will see the presler score higher but unless you like the extra heat output, I'd go for the core2. At idle it probably will use a lot less power.

Well after looking again the presler wins easily in the one test I checked but overall and especially in the price/performance section the core2 e4300 handily beats the D930. exact comparison is not in this chart.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  

Definitely the core2, arguably you could go for a cheaper one E2180 for asimple WHS installation.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 11:38 AM