Connect a monitor to an HP EX487? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to troubleshoot an HP EX487.  I may have filled up the system partition, but I can't be sure unless I connect a monitor to the unit.  Does the motherboard have a VGA block?  I thought I'd ask here before taking apart my server.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

Any ideas?
    Disk failure, probably. chkdsk /r (to repair problems found and do a surface scan) would be the next step. Don't try to re-use the disk later, particularly not if bad clusters are reported, jsut recover what data you can off the DATA partition (anything recoverable will be un <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc.), replace the disk with a new one (but don't use a WD Advanced Format drive), and use the server recovery DVD you got with your server to do a recovery (not a factory reset).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by be789 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:14 PM

All replies

• Remove the drive and look at it while connected to another computer. Even if you need to buy a USB-to-SATA bridge device, it will be cheaper than buying a special cable (plus disassembling your server to connect it).
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your response.  I actually thought of that shortly after I posted, but by that time I had already left for work and couldn't update this thread.

I confirmed that the disk isn't full.  The system partition has many GB free.

The system directories don't look OK though.  For example, K:\WINDOWS is empty.  Maybe there are hidden files and folders, but I tried "Get-ChildItem -force" in powershell and still didn't see anything.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:32 AM
    Any ideas?
    Disk failure, probably. chkdsk /r (to repair problems found and do a surface scan) would be the next step. Don't try to re-use the disk later, particularly not if bad clusters are reported, jsut recover what data you can off the DATA partition (anything recoverable will be un <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc.), replace the disk with a new one (but don't use a WD Advanced Format drive), and use the server recovery DVD you got with your server to do a recovery (not a factory reset).

• Marked as answer by be789 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Trying it first in read-only mode, I get:

PS K:\> chkdsk
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

A simple "dir" now shows different directories from what was visible 12 hours ago.  I also can no longer change to the data drive, L:.  It looks like my drive is corrupt.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:50 PM