How Do I Restore Money99 Backup File If Windows 8.1 Can't Find It Or Says It's Read Only? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In 2011, I bought a Sony VAIO laptop with Windows 8 and successfully installed Money99 and my backup file.  A year later, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and successfully re-installed Money99 and the backup file.  Last year, I upgraded to Windows 10 and once again successfully re-installed Money99 and the back up file.  My VAIO didn't work well with Windows 10, so last weekend I re-set it back to the original factory settings.  This time when I re-installed Money99, however, it wouldn't restore my backup file.  It says it can't locate the file or it's read only.  I confirmed it's on my USB drive and on the laptop's C drive, and it's not set to read only.

I read several threads before starting this one.  Some suggested moving the file from the USB drive to the Documents folder on the laptop, but that hasn't helped.  It won't restore it from the USB drive or from This PC\Documents.  Some of them also suggested upgrading to Money Sunset, but I didn't have to do that the other times I re-installed the program, so I'm not sure what's changed or what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:05 PM

All replies

• When you right-click on the *.mbf file in your Documents folder, and choose Open, does that launch Money? At what stage, during the restore process, do you get the "read-only" indication?

Rather than trying to restore to the default location, browse into
    your Documents folder as the place to restore to. Enter a different name for your Money file restore also. Pick a name like Darth99.mny

Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:44 PM
  • When I right-click the .mbf file, I can launch Money99.  Next, it asks me to choose a path to restore the file to.  It defaults to This PC\Documents folder.  I re-named the My Money.mny file to DarthMoney99.  When I choose that file and tell it to overwrite it, I get the read-only message.

I get the same read-only message if I right-click on the backup file in my E drive (USB), and I get the same message if I try to restore backup from within the Money program itself.  By the way, why do we have to choose a path to restore to? Why doesn't the program automatically know where to put the data after choosing which backup file to read from?

• Edited by Darthmack Saturday, January 30, 2016 11:11 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:54 PM
  • Try to restore again. This time *Browse* to the Documents folder. Don't use what was remembered for the path or the filename. Don't do a rename. Choose a new name that has not been used before, such as Hope99 or Hope99A etc.

When you restore, the remembered path may not even exist if big changes have been made to the computer.

It may be that your backup file is corrupted and things will not work. I hope not. Do you maybe have another backup file somewhere? Maybe try these commands in a command window:

dir \*.mbf  /s

dir \*.mny  /s

They will take a while to run as they look through your hard drive. Look at the dates on any files found. Note that second command should turn up sample.mny, which is in the Money install folder, and its date will be from probably 1998. We are hoping to find some file dated 2015.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 11:50 PM
  • I think I have been browsing, but I'm not sure. With most of my attempts to restore, I told Money to look in another folder rather than choosing one from the list that pops up when it says choose a file to restore from.  Is that browsing?

I'm confused when you say "don't do a rename. Choose a name...." Isn't that renaming it? Just to be clear: you're suggesting I name the path file Hope99, not the backup file, right? I should leave the backup file name as My Money Backup d2, which is what Money called it when I backed it up to the USB drive?

I don't understand what you mean when you say a command window.  I'm not familiar with that.

• Edited by Darthmack Sunday, January 31, 2016 3:53 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 3:52 PM
  • 1. It has been a long time since I used Money 99. I think this is how it goes: when you restore, Money offers to put to put the Money file produced from the *.mbf file to the "default location". It also presents a button that says "Browse". Click that. Then click your way to your Documents folder. It also remembers what you called your *.mny file. You could accept that same name, but if a file by that name already was in Documents, you would overwrite that file. So I was suggesting that you choose a new unique name to make it distinctive and to not overwrite an existing file that you did not notice. Plus, if that existing file was marked as read-only , that would lead to an error.

2. To me, renaming a file is something done in Windows-- not in Money. In Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), you can right-click a file and choose Rename. It was not clear to me that you were not doing that. I did suspect you were renaming the backup file, which is not what you wanted to do. Based on your comments now, I infer that is not what you were doing. I would not call choosing a new filename during restore to be renaming a file, but rather as naming a file. I can understand that you could view it otherwise, and that we were using different semantics for the same thing.

3. When I tried creating a command prompt in Windows 8, I had added a program that made it look like Windows 7. Here are some links, one of which should match your environment, that show how to open a command prompt:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9702-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html  https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=27008

Sunday, January 31, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Here's the restore process in Money99...

When I click Restore Backup, it asks me: "Do you want to open a recently used file or restore from backup file?" I have to choose one and then click Next.  Then it says: "Your default backup file is listed below.  If you haven't backed up your Money file before or want to open a different file, click the second option".  The first option is Restore From Default Backup Files.  The 2nd option is Open A Different Backup File.  When I choose the 2nd option and click Restore, it performs a search.  Then it displays a long list of files on the C drive, including My Money Backup.mbf and My Money Backup d2.mbf.  I could choose one of those or click Select Other Backup File.  When I click the 2nd option, it opens the Restore window and defaults to the Documents folder.  I see My Money Backup and My Money Backup d2 displayed when the file type is set to Money Back Up Files (*.mbf).  When I change the file type to Money 95, 97 and 98 Backup Files (*.mny), I see My Money (which was created today).  Whichever type of file I choose, I have to name the file on this screen.  The name already filled in is My Money Backup.  There's no Browse button.

I'm confused when you say Money remembers what I called my *.mny file.  I don't remember naming it after I re-installed the program.  I think it defaulted to the name My Money.  Are you saying before I attempt to restore in the program, I should find the My Money.mny file in Windows Explorer and rename it? Let's say I call it Hope99.  Then when I restore in Money, does that mean I would choose My Money Backup d2 as the backup file and Hope99 as the path to restore to?

Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Thanks for that description of the Money 99 restore process.

That filename with the d2 in the name probably came from a restore to diskettes. There would need to be a file with d1 in the name, and maybe d3 etc depending.

To search your drive, I suggest installing Agent Ransack. Unusual name, but it is a nice search program. It does not require you to use a command window. Search c:\ for files named *.mny  You can sort by date by clicking the Modified column. You are not looking for files that are newer than when Money was working for you.

Then search for files  *.mbf and sort those by date too. I hope you find a good candidate.

If you have other drives or diskettes to search, search them too.

Whatever you find with a date that gives you hope, save a copy on another drive such as a USB flash drive. That way, you will not overwrite the file by mistake, and you will have a copy if your hard drive fails.

Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:36 PM
  • Yes, the d2 means Disk 2.  Years ago when I was saving Money to floppy disks, it took 2.  I would imagine Disk 1 is the backup file simply called My Money Backup, but I don't understand why it's necessary to install Agent Ransack (or any other program) to search my drives.  Aren't the backup files in plain view? I didn't have to do this step when I installed Money in 2011 or after I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and 10.  Do you think it would help to uninstall Money and then re-install it? I installed it right after I reverted back to Windows 8 last weekend, but now I'm trying to restore the backup file to Windows 8.1.  Would it make a difference?
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:39 PM
  • A *d2.mbf file will be of no use without a *d1.mbf.

The reason for searching your drive is the hope, perhaps futile, that there is a file on your disk somewhere that will have your Money data.

I really hope that you did not overwrite your only good backup file somehow.

To test the  Money 99  installation, try copying your Sample.mny from your Money install folder in Program Files (x86) to your Documents folder. Close Money. In Windows Explorer, right-click the copy in Documents, and choose Open. That should open Money 99. If that works, your Money 99 install is probably OK.

Monday, February 1, 2016 1:01 AM
  • There have been reports that moving to Windows 10 or reverting to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 has messed up the Windows file permissions.  Sometimes the files don't show as "read only" even when there is no write permission.  Two things to check:

Copy your Money backup file from your flash drive to your Windows 8.1 desktop instead of the My Documents folder.  Double click on it and see if it will open.  If it does, this might indicate that the permissions on your My Documents folder are messed up.

Verify that you can open, edit and save changes to other files in your My Documents folder (documents, spreadsheets, etc.).  If you get an error message or if the changes don't "take", this would be strong evidence that the permissions on your My Documents folder are messed up.

Let us know the results of these experiments.

Bill Becker

Monday, February 1, 2016 3:42 AM
  • Ok, I copied the backup file from my USB drive to My Desktop.  When I double-clicked on it, it started Money99 and a window immediately popped up that asked me to choose a path to restore the file to.  I didn't do anything after that except cancel and close the program.  I verified that I can open, edit and save changes to a spreadsheet I had saved in This PC\Documents.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Ok, I copied the backup file from my USB drive to My Desktop.  When I double-clicked on it, it started Money99 and a window immediately popped up that asked me to choose a path to restore the file to.  I didn't do anything after that except cancel and close the program.  I verified that I can open, edit and save changes to a spreadsheet I had saved in This PC\Documents.

Woohooo!

Next time you are in, you will want to establish a path for the upon-exit and the scheduled backups.

In Tools->Options->Backup
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR or some other media. This can be a copy and paste operation.

I am not sure, but it may be able to have the scheduled backup go to a USB flash drive. I forget if Money 99 only would do that to A: or B:. I am thinking floppy only, now that I think about it. Note that Money 99 will not write to a USB flash drive with more than 2 GB of free space. You can use an old small drive, or you can fill up a bigger drive with something else.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive , in addition to backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

Better backing up would be an advantage of Money Plus Sunset.

But you can handle the backup somehow. This painful experience will enhance your motivation I expect.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Darthmack,

Thanks for posting back.  The fact that you can open, edit and save changes to other files in your My Documents folders indicates that the file permissions in that folder are OK.  So the problem with permissions is limited to your Money file when it is copied from the flash drive to your My Documents folder.  This behavior is, for some reason, fixed by copying the file to the desktop.  This is strange, but has been reported by others.

Now that you can open your Money file, you should be able to use the Money program to save it to a location in your My Documents folder and thing will work normally.  Be sure to follow Cal's good advice about backups.

Assuming that your Money 1999 is a US version, upgrading to US Money Deluxe Sunset is a option.  However, that will require an intermediate conversion to Money 2004.  Some users have managed to get that to work while others did not.  Post back if you want to try.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:22 AM
  • I checked the backup settings in Tools while I had the program open.  The default is to save to the Documents folder on the C drive upon exiting and to save it to a floppy disk every 14 days.  I never changed these settings while I used the program, so I was used to backing up in 2 places.

I'm still confused though.  After reading your last post and Cal's, I opened Money and tried to restore the backup file I copied from the USB drive to my desktop.  I got the same error message about Money not being able to find the file or it being read only.  Is it just hopeless?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:39 AM
  • After you close Money, please copy your *.mny file to a flash drive or two.

If you can't close Money successfully, then copy your most recent *.mny to other media anyway.

Did you try to change the location and filename to backup to in Tools->Options->Backup ?

Can  you successfully make a new backup file onto your hard drive? Copy *that* new backup file to your flash drive.

Looking at "restore the backup file I copied from the USB drive to my desktop."... I worry about what you are trying to do, and am concerned that you will overwrite your working Money file.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:50 AM
  • Ok, closed Money and copied the *.mny file to my USB drive.  Changed the location and file name to backup to in Tools>Options>Backup.  I called it Hope This Works and changed the location to my Desktop.  Then I copied that file to my USB drive.  Now what?

While I'm waiting, I double-clicked on the newly-created Desktop icon called Hope This Works.  It started Money, but then I got the same old error message about not locating the file or it being read only.  How can that be?

By the way, the backup file I created right before I reset my laptop back to factory settings is still on the USB drive.  I have since saved it to Microsoft's cloud in case my USB drive gets wiped out during all this.

• Edited by Darthmack Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:10 AM
  • Tough one.

Here are a couple of things I would like to suggest. First, while unlikely to be related to solving this, but I would like Windows to show the *.mny and *.mbf on filenames. On the desktop, right-click a blank area. Choose Personalize->Tools->View, and un-tick  HideFileExtensionsForKnownFileTypes

For Windows Explorer, there is a similar setting.  The purpose is to make it explicit whether we are dealing with *.mbf or *.mny files. It is unlikely that is where a problem lies, but let's just do it to make it all visible.

This next thing may not help, but still it is worth a try. Close Money. Open Money by right-clicking the launch icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator. Then in Money, File->Restore, and locate that *.mbf backup file on your desktop. See if you can restore successfully. If that works, then there is some kind of ownership or permissions problem. If not, I don't know where to go next.  As Bill Becker points out, converting to Sunset from Money 99 may not be as easy as you would like to think. So let's exhaust trying to get Money 99 working first.

Note that having your user account be an Administrator is not the same as running as Administrator.  

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:08 PM
  • I un-ticked the Hide File Extension option.  (By the way, in 8.1 when you right-click and choose Personalize, there's no Tools option that pops up.  I searched "hide file extension" and Folder Options suddenly appeared on the left side.  Under it was the option to show or hide extensions.) I don't know what Windows Explorer is or where to find it, so I didn't un-tick that one.

I ran Money as Administrator.  As soon as it opened and before I even did anything, a window popped up that said Money can't locate the backup file I put on my desktop or it's read only.  I went through the steps of "restore another file".  I let Money search for backup files, and it showed me a list of them.  One of them was the backup file on my desktop! I selected it, then it asked me to choose a path to restore it to.  This is the part I don't understand, so I stopped there.  I don't where it should go, nor do I understand why the program doesn't know where to put the backup file I've chosen to restore from.  Why is it up to the user to choose a path to restore to? Isn't there only one place the backup file should go?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:45 AM
  • I ran Money as Administrator.  As soon as it opened and before I even did anything, a window popped up that said Money can't locate the backup file I put on my desktop or it's read only.  I went through the steps of "restore another file".  I let Money search for backup files, and it showed me a list of them.  One of them was the backup file on my desktop! I selected it, then it asked me to choose a path to restore it to.  This is the part I don't understand, so I stopped there.  I don't where it should go, nor do I understand why the program doesn't know where to put the backup file I've chosen to restore from.  Why is it up to the user to choose a path to restore to? Isn't there only one place the backup file should go?

It offers to put the restored file in the same place and with the same name as when the backup was made. But that place may not even exist due to changes that have been made. Or you may want to not overwrite the existing *.mny file, and by choosing a different name, you will have two files. I understand that could be confusing.

So here is the deal. Tell it where to restore to this once. Then the next time, feel free to take the remembered default. But now and then, save your latest *.mny or *.mbf somewhere. I like to have more than one vintage of backup file, and I incorporate the date as part of the name. Suppose your file got corrupted due to a cosmic ray hitting your memory. You could save the backup over the only recent backup you have. If you used a different name for the backup that incorporated the date, you could go back to your second newest backup if you needed.

But I am digressing. You are asking about why to not have the same path and file name for the restored file as was in effect when the backup was made. Usually you can do that. For some reason it was not working for you. So select an new path once, and then try taking the remembered path the next time. Let restoring your backup be your "undo" function. I hope it all goes smoothly going forward.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:11 AM
  • I ran it as administrator again and selected a new folder to restore the backup to.  I didn't get the error message when I hit the Restore button, but my old data didn't show up either.  :(

I can't imagine why the restore function isn't working this time.  Thinking about it today, I was able to install Money99 and restore my backup file many times over the years: first with Windows 98, then Vista, then 8, then 8.1, and then 10; and it was never this difficult.  I started out using floppy discs, then at some point I switched to the USB drive I'm using today.  I don't think there's anything wrong with my USB drive because I've been able to move other files onto and off of it and then use those files.  I suspect Windows 10 has something to do with the restore function not working this time around.  This is also the first time I ever set my OS backward, so maybe that's the cause.  Who knows?

The only other thing I can think of to try now is removing the program and then re-installing it.  If that fails to restore my backup file, I will consider it lost and never use Money99 (or any other financial program) again.  During the 2 weeks I've been without the program, I've been tracking my finances on a simple spreadsheet.  I'll just continue doing it that way because it seems like the most future-proof method going forward since we know that dedicated financial programs like Money are sometimes retired by their makers.  Years from now I'll replace my Sony VAIO with a laptop that comes with some other version of Windows, and if I were using Money99 or something else like it I'd have to find a way of making work with yet another OS.

I sincerely thank you, Cal and Bill, for your efforts.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Sorry that this is not working out for you.  Just for completeness, when you say:

"I didn't get the error message when I hit the Restore button, but my old data didn't show up either.  :("

what did happen?  Error message?  No .mny file in the folder you selected?  Did you search for .mny files after the restore?

Bill Becker

Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Money remained open and worked, but the data wasn't restored.  I tried again right before I typed this... I ran Money as Administrator and tried to restore the backup file I put on the Desktop, and this time I got the error message. Then I tried to restore the backup file I had put in a different place like Cal suggested.  I put it in the Pictures folder and named it Once Again.  At the top of the screen, it now says Once Again - Microsoft Money, so I guess it's running that file, but my old data wasn't restored.  It's like I'm using Money for the first time.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 1:34 AM