Will I ever get WHS up and running? Setupldr: Couldn't Open.... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Alright, So I'm trying to get a machine setup for a friend. Anyway AFter fighting with the sata controller i said screw this and told him to go buy a new machine.  So he came back with the following:

PowerSpec® Server 365

Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5030

Microsoft® Windows® Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 with SP2

Supermicro X7DVL-E

4GB (4- 1024MB) DDR2/533/ECC/FB DIMMS

3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive

640GB RAID 5 (3 x 320GB SATA HDDs) 7200 RPM  (NOT CONFIG AS A RAID!!!!)

16x DVD-ROM Drive

Integrated ATI ES1000

Intel® Dual Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet (82563)

He spent $2,500 on this box. (he has money to "toss" away.) 

Anyway, I go and load WHS and after the first part of setup and it reboots I get the following Error, Setupldr: Couldn't open drive Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) 

Any ideas???????????? 

ON another note I did get my own box setup and is working flawlessly.  Just need to get THIS one working.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:06 AM

All replies

• That it ran SBS2k3 is good (WHS is built on SBS2k3, so driver support will exist for you)...
    First suggestions:
    Pull HDDs 2 & 3, and make sure that the remaining drive is connected to the first SATA port.

Pull 2 sticks of RAM.  The system can't address 4GB anyways (WHS is 32-bit), and it's possible that it's making the installer choke.
    Update the BIOS (if update is available.)
    If installer didn't see any HDDs:
    Download drivers from here, extract SATA & RAID drivers, copy to floppy.  Point WHS installer at said floppy for additional drivers.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:18 AM
  •  

Right now the machine has 2gb of ram, Setup found the drives no problem. I unplugged all drives expect for 1 and did a reinstall. Same thing.  NO RAID.  I went ahead and used the driver from the Driver Disk that came with the machine.

Bois is lastest.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:34 AM
  •  

Anyone have any other suggestions????
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Seems like a sata issue to me.

I would download the following drivers (ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA/Intel_ESB2_RAID/Windows/WIN32.zip) and put them on a usb key or floppy drive and retry your install with these drivers.

JM

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:53 AM