none
Is there an API for Streets and Trips? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that generates routed lists of households - called "walklists" for political canvassing.  I'd like to be able to programatically generate a map as a cover page for those lists, as an assist to the canvassers.  Is there any kind of Application Program Interface or Software Developer Kit to enable this capability?  I'd like to be able to sent a file of addresses - similar to a mail merge fie - to the mapping program and have that program generate a map of the route and print it, or give me the opportunity to print it from my app.

Does anything like that exist???

Creacon
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 10:22 PM

All replies

• This sounds like a job for Microsoft MapPoint, which is basically a more expensive version of Streets and Trips that has APIs and data import/export functionality.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Also note that you can use the Google Maps APIs to do things like this. (Such uses are technically banned under their terms of service, but people get away with it anyway.)
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:44 AM
  • You may not require all the functionality of MapPoint if you are intending to just import address data bases; Streets and Trips can do that perfectly well.  Then, S&T can produce the sort of map you want.  Also, S&T can optimize routes of the imported addresses that you might compare to your walklists. 

Since Microsoft offers a free sixty-day trial period of either product, you can give it a go to see if it meets your needs.

Monday, July 4, 2011 1:14 PM
  • You may not require all the functionality of MapPoint if you are intending to just import address data bases; Streets and Trips can do that perfectly well.  Then, S&T can produce the sort of map you want.  Also, S&T can optimize routes of the imported addresses that you might compare to your walklists. 

Since Microsoft offers a free sixty-day trial period of either product, you can give it a go to see if it meets your needs.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the suggestion, and you're quite correct that, for the purposes of my app, I don't need all the MapPoint functionality.Also, the walklists are already optomized for canvassing purposes; my app handles that.  For example, the lists show the even addresses ascending order, and the odd addresses in descending order.  That way the canvasser can walk up one side of the street and down the other.  I used to use USPS Carrier Routing, however that "Line Of Travel" doesn't lend itself well for canvassing.

I have Streets & Trips 2010, but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to programatically interface to it, and interactive operation will not work in my envorinment.  My app is not something that I personally run.  It's run remotely by candidates, PACs and campaign managers, who're connected to my server by Remote Desktop Services; they're in south Florida, and i, and my server, are in north Georgia.  Consequently, the generation and printing of the maps must be programatic.  What I'm trying to achieve is to be able to have th map printed along with the walklist, to be used as a cover page.  If Streets & Trips doesn't have an API, then I'm stuck with haveing to consider MapPoint, which is somewhat out of my budget for the time being.

Hi Stuckman,

Thanks for that suggestion also, but what I don't understand is that if using Google Maps that way violates the terms of service, why is there an API at all?

I totally appreciate any and all input.  Thank you all.

Creacon
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Creacon, I must admit that S&T probably does not optimize at this level of detail as well as what you are already using; it is more oriented to town-to-town optimization.  So, feel free to ignore that aspect of my post.

The way I would visualize the data base integration into S&T would be to use the "Import data wizard" under Data.  This is based on conventional data base layouts (collumns and rows) such as what might be found in a spreadsheet program like Excel.  So, the question would be can the address data produced by your server in some sort of data base format or even CSV file?  Then, that would have to be imported into S&T to produce maps.  But I do not see how this could be done 'programatically' unless you could run a keyboard macro to replicate the keystrokes that would get the job done. 

Monday, July 4, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Philip,

Yup, your visualization is spot on with what I'm tryingto accomplish, and yes, the data that I generate does, in fact, import correctly to S&T, but interactively.  I tried it with a small test file that I generated from my app, and then successfully interactively imported it into S&T, so that part works.  It's the programatic part that's stopping me.

I handn't thought about a keyhboard macro, and I don't know if S&T has that capability, but I'm going to look into its help and see if there's anything about that.  If S&T does have a macro capability, it may just prove to be a solution.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Creacon
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:15 PM
  • You won't find anything in the S&T Help along those lines, unfortunately.

I was thinking of a third-party application to do the keyboard macro. 

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I was wondering if Richard's MPRouteWriter referred to elsewhere in ths forum might be helpful to what you are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I donlt know, because I'm unfamiliar with it, but thanks for the tip.  I'm certainly going to look for it.
    Creacon
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:02 PM