Need to set up brand new unified communications sytems for three office locations world wide RRS feed

• Question

• We want to have three office locations in different parts of the world to have a cost effective unified communication systems. These office just brand new and need to setup from the scratch. We anticipate it to grow big. We want to have this unfied communication system based on microsoft solutions with all the compatibile hardware and gateways. What is the starting point to go about this and the infrastructure needs for setting up this brand new setup. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Everything needs to be started from the scratch so need info

1. What Hardware is needed for the office communications/ exchange/etc servers

2. What software is required for the whole communication system. The communications system should include

telephone/voicemail/call attendent/PBX/ Gateways /Text Messaging/ VoIP/Possible wireless voip/ability to integrate with microsoft.net programming applications/head phones/etc. In all everything in the communication system.

3. What would be the architecture of such scenario

4. Are there any consultants who can help setting up this environment.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Thanks Russell,

I have provided some more info for the questions.

The Microsoft UC solution will cover most / all of your needs. The exact topology / layout of the solution would depend on how many people in each office there are and where these offices are.

- 5-10 people in India

- 3-6 people in USA (San Diego)

Expected to expand to another 2-3 locations and 10-20 people in 1-2 years

You would use Exchange 2007 with Unified Messaging together with OCS. This would cover your needs for:

telephone - OCS with Communicator ( How do I have my phone connected to PC. What makes my work thru the PC. Will the call be routed thru OCS? Do I need a need to have some hardware in between? I am a novice and a detailed explanation would be really helpful)
        voicemail  - Exchange UM (not an issue)
        call attendent - Exhcange UM and/or OCS Speach Server role  your exact requirement would need to be detailed to see which worked best for you. ( similer to any business call attendent. ex. when a call is recd. automatic call attendent answers, press 1 for sales, 2 for billing, 3 for associate and route the call based on what is being pressed)
        PBX - OCS, note OCS is not a full-featured PBX but it does provide all the basic features and plenty of new advanced ones.( to start with even If there are couple of extensions integrated so that when an extension can be directly called from outside phone number ex. some one should be able to call main no 832-323-3232 and then connect to ext 4 which is my ext.
        Gateways - depending on geographic location and requirement various vendors can be used. ( do you know of any vendors in San Diego , CA USA and India
        Text Messaging - This could be filled by some free from Microsoft Research (check my blog for eatils at http://russkirk.typepad.com/greyconvergence/2007/04/microsoft_sms_t.html) or there are partner products depending on your needs.
        VoIP - OCS ( have vonage will that work in any way. What are the recommended carriers for compatibility with OCS)
        Wireless voip - Possibly by Communicator Mobile subject to you mobile carriers. (Are there any existing providers for this)
        Integrate with microsoft.net programming applications - OCS provides both server and client-side APIs ( Just wanting the applications to be integrated with OCS)
        head phones/etc - Various available including devices to be launched by Microsoft. (Are there any suggestions for this that are compatibile?)

The hardware you would need would depend on the number of people and locations. (5-10people iand 1 office location in India, 3-6 People and 1 office location in San Diego, USA. Are there recommended vendors in these localities?) would be great if I can get the approx. hardware requirements.

The OCS planning guide would be a good place to start but if you;d like to engage with a consultant I'd be happy to help. Feel free to email me at russ.kirk AT greyconvergence.com

Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Thanks Russ, that was much helpful.

I am extremely happy with the very prompt response. You are awesome!!!

Will recommend for Microsoft's Fast Responder Award!!!! :-)

Kumm

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:45 PM
  • At the first place to use VoIP Do we need a service/carrier provider when you already have OCS server installed? If so who are the compatible VoIP service providers in US?
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Hi Kumm,

I've done some testing using the OCS and a SIP Trunking service provider and it seems to work good. My configuration is a OCS Mediation Server - Ingate SIParator - SIP Trunking provider, I have the Ingate SIParator to protect the Mediation server from Internet and to overcome some interoperability issues between the OCS and the Trunking provider.

/Janne

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:07 PM
  • Is there any information related to how to configure OCS Mediation server with a SIP/voip provider?

Thanks,

Mark

Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:13 AM
  • Hi Kumm,
    we have deployed  few solutions of Microsoft Unified Communication, specially for our office which has 3 regional offices, and we also doplyed for our international office, we deployed Microsoft UC solution alongwith Neura VoIP gateways, also used Xener, Broadsoft asIPPABX, also Asterisk(open source), Neura IP phone, Aethra ( non Mirosoft Certified) video conferencing equipment in our solution and we sucessfully deployed this, infact in "CommunicAsia" our solution will be on the display, to be held on 16th of June 2009 Singapore, in collaboration with Neura and Broadsoft, you can visit it.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:33 AM