PC Recovery unable to find the Homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• I was testing recovery on my PC (sad aren't I) however, when I booted the using the recovery ISO the image correctly detected that I had a network adaptor, but then was unable to find my homeserver either automatically or detected manually.  My WHS was switched on and other PC's on the newtork can detect the server and the PC I was testing recovery to can also see the WHS when booted normally, any ideas how to diagnose this?

Friday, August 21, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• The Win 7 drivers were a bust, but the 32 bit Vista drivers worked like a charm... :) many thanks for talking me through this 
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Aston Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 AM
  • going through the same progression of head banging and trying the various offered Realtek drivers for the RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet NIC.

**Is there some reason why this obvious chronic driver/restore  (FAQ worthy) issue wasn't addressed in the just released PP3 Restore CD?  ...just sayin DUH!**

Home Server w/ PP3 Restore CD (made from download) - bust (tried both connected to DHCP server and direct via crossover cable)
    USB Drive with XP/Win2003 x86 driver - bust (tried both connected to DHCP server and direct via crossover cable)
    USB Drive with Vista driver -  promising as name of NIC was different this time post scan - OMG it worked! (tried only direct via crossover cable)

source of drivers:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Just to be clear I took that download, extracted it and then placed the "32" folder containing the 32 bit driver on the thumb drive.  Once the detection was finished the resulting NIC was named "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"

...as an aside, the scan took many minutes though there was but only that lone folder on the drive to scan
    • Edited by Dale DU-IT Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:43 AM adding important information
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:41 AM

• I statically assign all my regular PC's and I have a IP address range that is for guests, that is working, that said the two other PC's thatI have tested and work both have statically assigned IP addresses in the router.  I am pretty certainthat the DHCO server is working.  I downloaded the XP (Server 2003) drivers for the 8111D series of card, which is what installed on the PC in question. My actual O/S is W7 64 bit.

Ahhhhhhhhh, that might be your problem!  Your OS is not XP/Server 2003.  :)  Download the 32-bit driver for your NIC for 7 (or, if there isn't one available yet, try the 32-bit NIC driver for Vista).

1) insert the memory stick and restore CD 

2) Power on the machine

3) F12 to select boot options

4)  select CD

5) Restore a computer with more than 512Mb of RAM

6) Wait for the Restore CD to fire up

7) Select UK as local and keyboard (I have tried leaving it as US)

8) I select show details (it shows the correct driver for my card)

9) Install Drivers

10 ) scan

11) drivers were found, select ok

12) select continue

13) select next

14) watch it fail to find the homeserver

15) select next to watch it fail again      

16) select Manual & Next

17) Enter homeservername

18) A Network error has occoured please verify that your network connection is active and the WHS is powered on , it is 

19) select cancel

20) bang head on table

21) send message to forum ... oh wait!  :)

what does BMR stand for ?

Sorry, I should have clarified.  BMR = Bare Metal Restore (and, FYI, SFR = Single File Restore).

I assume this means if I run the ClientRestoreWizard (this seems to work btw), off a clean box (with WHS installed)?

BMR restores one (or more) partitions to a hard drive (either by using the restore CD or by using ClientRestoreWizard.exe) while SFR restores individual files (by using the WHS Console).
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Aston Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:46 AM
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:59 PM

All replies

• Was your server in recovery mode?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for the reply, sorry my initial post was unclear, it is one of the PC's served by the WHS I was trying to recover, not the WHS itself.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:56 PM
  • I was testing recovery on my PC (sad aren't I)

Absolutely not.  Frankly, everyone should test it (and especially right after getting a server).  If you don't do a test restore (or at the very least boot from the Recovery CD to see if you can see the backups), you'll never know how (or if) it's going to work if you should ever need to use it.

however, when I booted the using the recovery ISO the image correctly detected that I had a network adaptor, but then was unable to find my homeserver either automatically or detected manually.  My WHS was switched on and other PC's on the newtork can detect the server and the PC I was testing recovery to can also see the WHS when booted normally, any ideas how to diagnose this?
    Are you using the latest Restore CD?  Also, are you trying to restore a 64-bit OS?  If so, you need a 32-bit NIC driver for your OS.  And there is also an issue with the Realtek drivers in the CD.  If you have that type of NIC, you might want to check the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for assistance.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hi Kariya,
    I have now tried this  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.

1) My driver is detected correctly (or seemingly so)

2) I have downloaded the drivers and placed them on a USB stick as per the process, the drivers are detected and installed, but it does not seem to make a difference to the experience.  I am still unable to detect the Homeserver.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:45 PM
  • A silly question, but you are using a cabled network connection and not wireless? The PC Restore CD doesn't support wireless networks.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:29 PM
  • No not a silly question, but, the PC in question is attached to the Hub, via a cable, as is the WHS. 
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Do you know if your router is assigning a valid DHCP address to your PC?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Hi Kariya,
    I have now tried this  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.

1) My driver is detected correctly (or seemingly so)

2) I have downloaded the drivers and placed them on a USB stick as per the process, the drivers are detected and installed, but it does not seem to make a difference to the experience.  I am still unable to detect the Homeserver.

To clarify: did you download the 32-bit NIC driver for your OS?  What OS are you using?  Do you have more than 1 client?  If so, do any of the other ones work?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Hi Kariya,
    looking at the directory of the files i downloaded the driver has both 32 and 64 bits in it, should i delete the 64bit  veersion from the directory ?

My O/S is Windows 7 RTM. I have 2 other clients that work fine, though they are both 32 bit rather than 64 (one Mac, running W7 natively & one Sony). both work fine  from the recovery CD.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Hi Kariya,
    looking at the directory of the files i downloaded the driver has both 32 and 64 bits in it, should i delete the 64bit  veersion from the directory ?

I would.  With both of them on the USB stick, it probably doesn't know which one to use.  (Besides, it couldn't hurt.  It can't get any worse than where you are now. :)  )

My O/S is Windows 7 RTM. I have 2 other clients that work fine, though they are both 32 bit rather than 64 (one Mac, running W7 natively & one Sony). both work fine  from the recovery CD.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Nope exactly the same deal, also as far as I can see the driver is the same, certainly its description is before and after I have scanned for drivers on the USB stick.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:26 PM
  • hmmm I don't know about what DHCP address is being handed out but I can't see enough to check on the client, in recovery mode.  The server on leases out valid addresses ones. It should be though, it does whenever the PC boots normally?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:29 PM
  • hmmm I don't know about what DHCP address is being handed out but I can't see enough to check on the client, in recovery mode.  The server on leases out valid addresses ones. It should be though, it does whenever the PC boots normally?

Did you download and burn the newest Restore CD (the one I linked to in an earlier post)?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Hi Kariya,
    yes that was the version I already had, downloaded it on the 17th of August
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hi Kariya,
    yes that was the version I already had, downloaded it on the 17th of August

Just to make sure your NIC is functioning correctly after installing the NIC driver, can you ping the client you are trying to restore from another client?  (You'll probably have to go into your router and look at your routing table to find out the IP address of the client you are trying to restore and ping that IP address.  You won't be able to ping your client by name.)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hmmm... i don't think it is functioning correctly after installing the drivers, the  router  is not showing a lease to any unknown device, or to the MAC address of my PC doing the restore.  and when I ping the address of the last lease to that MAC it returns host unreachable ... it is definately scanning the USB stick for drivers I can se the light on the USB stick "light" up
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:20 AM
  • If you are using the mediasmart servers and need to push the reset button with a paper clip, i found that pressing once doesn't allow it to be found.  I push it 5-10 times and the lights then change and it is found.  It's probably just a timing thing, but without a monitor its pretty tough to judge
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:42 PM
  • If you are using the mediasmart servers and need to push the reset button with a paper clip, i found that pressing once doesn't allow it to be found.  I push it 5-10 times and the lights then change and it is found.  It's probably just a timing thing, but without a monitor its pretty tough to judge

Hi Sighup,
    thanks for your response, I am trying to recover a PC not the WHS itself.  I have amended the tread title to avoid future confusion.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hmmm... i don't think it is functioning correctly after installing the drivers, the  router  is not showing a lease to any unknown device, or to the MAC address of my PC doing the restore.  and when I ping the address of the last lease to that MAC it returns host unreachable ... it is definately scanning the USB stick for drivers I can se the light on the USB stick "light" up

Just to make sure:   Your router is functioning as a DHCP server, right?  (In other words, you're not using all static IPs in your LAN?)  Are you 100% certain you have the correct 32-bit driver for your NIC and OS?  Also, please list, step-by-step, what you are doing once you boot from the CD as well as what is on each screen along the way.

Also, if nothing else, you can do a BMR within Windows from another client, bypassing the need for the Restore CD completely.  You can do that by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:01 PM

• Just to make sure:   Your router is functioning as a DHCP server, right?  (In other words, you're not using all static IPs in your LAN?)  Are you 100% certain you have the correct 32-bit driver for your NIC and OS? 

I statically assign all my regular PC's and I have a IP address range that is for guests, that is working, that said the two other PC's thatI have tested and work both have statically assigned IP addresses in the router.  I am pretty certainthat the DHCO server is working.  I downloaded the XP (Server 2003) drivers for the 8111D series of card, which is what installed on the PC in question. My actual O/S is W7 64 bit.

Also, please list, step-by-step, what you are doing once you boot from the CD as well as what is on each screen along the way.

2) Power on the machine

4)  select CD

9) Install Drivers

10 ) scan

12) select continue

13) select next

16) select Manual & Next

17) Enter homeservername

18) A Network error has occoured please verify that your network connection is active and the WHS is powered on , it is 

19) select cancel

20) bang head on table

Also, if nothing else, you can do a BMR within Windows from another client, bypassing the need for the Restore CD completely.  You can do that by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.

what does BMR stand for ?  I assume this means if I run the ClientRestoreWizard (this seems to work btw), off a clean box (with WHS installed)?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:38 PM

• I statically assign all my regular PC's and I have a IP address range that is for guests, that is working, that said the two other PC's thatI have tested and work both have statically assigned IP addresses in the router.  I am pretty certainthat the DHCO server is working.  I downloaded the XP (Server 2003) drivers for the 8111D series of card, which is what installed on the PC in question. My actual O/S is W7 64 bit.

Ahhhhhhhhh, that might be your problem!  Your OS is not XP/Server 2003.  :)  Download the 32-bit driver for your NIC for 7 (or, if there isn't one available yet, try the 32-bit NIC driver for Vista).

2) Power on the machine

4)  select CD

9) Install Drivers

10 ) scan

12) select continue

13) select next

16) select Manual & Next

17) Enter homeservername

19) select cancel

20) bang head on table

what does BMR stand for ?

Sorry, I should have clarified.  BMR = Bare Metal Restore (and, FYI, SFR = Single File Restore).

I assume this means if I run the ClientRestoreWizard (this seems to work btw), off a clean box (with WHS installed)?

BMR restores one (or more) partitions to a hard drive (either by using the restore CD or by using ClientRestoreWizard.exe) while SFR restores individual files (by using the WHS Console).
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Aston Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:46 AM
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:59 PM
  • The Win 7 drivers were a bust, but the 32 bit Vista drivers worked like a charm... :) many thanks for talking me through this 
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Please correct me if I am wrong  ...If you are doing a BMR there is no OS other than the Home Server OS which I believe is based off Windows Server 2003 x86.  If you never get to see the Home Server to choose your restore, then your backed up OS never comes into the equation at all for the initial detection.

Are these correct assumptions?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:25 AM
  • going through the same progression of head banging and trying the various offered Realtek drivers for the RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet NIC.

**Is there some reason why this obvious chronic driver/restore  (FAQ worthy) issue wasn't addressed in the just released PP3 Restore CD?  ...just sayin DUH!**

Home Server w/ PP3 Restore CD (made from download) - bust (tried both connected to DHCP server and direct via crossover cable)
    USB Drive with XP/Win2003 x86 driver - bust (tried both connected to DHCP server and direct via crossover cable)
    USB Drive with Vista driver -  promising as name of NIC was different this time post scan - OMG it worked! (tried only direct via crossover cable)

source of drivers:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Just to be clear I took that download, extracted it and then placed the "32" folder containing the 32 bit driver on the thumb drive.  Once the detection was finished the resulting NIC was named "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"

...as an aside, the scan took many minutes though there was but only that lone folder on the drive to scan
    • Edited by Dale DU-IT Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:43 AM adding important information
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Guys FWIW I just ran into this same exact issue today and Dale DU-IT is spot on.      

The Vista driver was only driver that would work for me.   I am using newest WHS Restore CD from MS (November 2009).   

After placing it on my USB drive and loading it then it changes the NIC to read Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Nice work Dale.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:40 AM
  • New homeserver cd restore available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displayLang=en

It didn't work for me also to install network card on hp mediacenter.

After following Dale DU-IT solution, it found the homeserver. Thanks!!

Olivier
    Net Doctor
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I tried to restore a Windows 7 machine using my Data Vault and failed miserably, that was until I read your thread. The 32 bit Vista driver recommended in your link worked like a charm. Thankyou Dale DU-IT, you are a star :-)

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:47 PM