Vista Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have this eaxact same problem this weekend (ie now). One of my PC's which has a genuine version of Vista has come up and said that I need to activate it. Going to the site or entering in the key manually does not activate it.

The PC is therefore useless as I can only use explorer!

Murray

Saturday, September 1, 2007 1:36 AM

Answers

• I can report that NZ Microsoft are now on to it and have been fantastic. I now have a new key.

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:02 AM

All replies

• Error code that comes up is: 0xC004E003

Saturday, September 1, 2007 4:32 AM
  • I have managed to log an online support call about this and sent diagnostics. I must say I am less than happy! As a consultant and business owner this issue is costing me money while I muck around and I can't use this computer to do work for my clients!!

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Now I am definately not happy - It is 1.50am in the morning on Sunday morning here. NZ Technical support is not available until Monday. I have rung the US 3-4 times only to be 1st told to ring back at 6am pacific time and ask to be put thru to technical support (they only have a 1800 number that you can't ring from NZ). Then after being put thru to an automated voice activation I had to ring back. Then after another period of time on the phone I have just been told that Tech Support cannot help me because I have to ring tech support in NZ.

SO - - now I can't work until Monday.

Yes, I have activated and validated Vista before and no - I haven't added any hardware to the machine recently....

The latest error code is 0xC004F050. I have sent the details to tech support online as the only thing I can use is IE. Who know when and if a response will come back.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:04 PM
  •  

What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Carey

I have tried this a couple of times with the US - the issue is that no numbers come up beneath the 1-9 figures.

The server thinks this copy of windows is already in use too by the way.

I have checked that the sticker and the version of Vista are correct also by the way - ie they matchg up as OES system builder pack of Windows Vista Business 32

Sunday, September 2, 2007 2:01 AM
  • BTW - I have no start option available anymore - the only thing I can do is run vista with reduced functionality - ie IE only - no start button or run options.

I have downloaded KB931573 which says it fixes errors with OEM versions of Vista via another machine. Unfortunately Vista won't let me install the fix because -- you guessed it - It tells me I do not have a genuine version of Vista!!

Sunday, September 2, 2007 5:23 AM
  • Hi had exactly the same problem, please see my post "A Change has Occured to Your Windows Licence" and also the post by Loprofile again with the same problem.

The only option i had in the end was to do a complete refrormat and reinstall.

Unfortunatly from my experiance here you wont get much other help here, apart from asking you to run SLUI .exe4 and do the phone activation which of course you can't do.

will be interested to see if N.Z tech support come up with anything.

regards

Keith.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Thanks Keith.

Yep - putting off a reformat. A little unsure as to whether this will work because according to MS the key is already in use! Seems like Vista may not be of merchantable quality.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:31 AM
  • i was worried about that as well but what i did was booted from the dvd drive and when it asks for your product key there is a little box underneath that says something like activate when on line make sure you untick that box so it wont try to activate the instant you are on line.

i then preceded with the install and all went well, i then installed all my hardware, chipset drivers, graphics, lan, soundcard etc and then when all those were up to date i then went to windows update and down loaded all the required security updates and again any new updates for my hardware. rebooted and then and only then did i activate (and must admit that i had sweaty hands at this point), and guess what it activated with no problems at all. (this is the 1st time i've had to reinstall and activate since i installed Windows Vista Ultimate X64 in February, The day Vista was released to retail shops infact).

I still think this error has been caused by a Required Microsoft update but we'll probably never really know. i can only sugest that you do the same as me and reinstall but i'm really very very very unhappy with Microsoft's Windows Genuine advantage, i paid for the software but all i got was messages saying i was the victim of software counterfeiting, and i know the Microsoft Windows Ultimate DVD i have here is definatly not a fake unless PC World sells fakes but as they are the UK's largets PC retail hardware and software supplier i doubt it.

i do have friends that have pirate copies of Vista and guess what they can update and use to there hearts content, in fact 2 of them thought it extreamly funny that the person who actually brought the software was the one who fell foul of the Windows Acivation and Genuine Advantage policy / program.

Starting to think that maybe Microsoft should look again at how Activation and the Genuine Advantage software and programs actually work.

Regards

Keith.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Thanks Keith

I may resort to this tonight.

1. The biggest issues I have are NZ support is only Monday to Friday 8am -6pm. (times when I am not in front of this particular computer), but out trying to make a living!!

2. I have a second computer in my City based office that was bought a little while later that also has an OEM Business Vista. This one (that I using now) currently works, but for how long???

Regards

Murray

Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:42 PM
  • I can report that NZ Microsoft are now on to it and have been fantastic. I now have a new key.

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:02 AM
  • Will someone please post the phone number for activation?  I am having problems booting and can't boot to dvd and so can't access support numbers from home where the computer is.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:58 AM
  • I have windows vista home premium on my laptop , but it is trial for 30 days when i need activation for this verstion of windows.

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:34 PM
  •  

Hi - Is there any other way to get the phone number other than the slui.exe 4 way?  I am having the same problem as the first user -- I bought this comptuer about 3 months ago with Vista pre-installed and now it is telling me I need to activate it (the product key is on the sticker so I know for sure that it's valid)...however, every time I try to get the phone number it sends me back to the screen that says I can a) access with reduced functionality b) type different product key c) contact dell -- when I try slui it just brings me back to this screen.  I've been told this is a technical problem with Vista and that it can be fixed by phone activation...but, again, I don't know how to access the phone number.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:18 AM
  • My copy was activated yesterday but after installing an ethernet driver and new chipset drivers was back in the expire in 3 days mode. Re-activated on the phone with this number: 866-740-1256
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:51 PM
  • my Toshiba which has a genuine Vista has come said, that I  need to Enter the product key. the message is incorrect PRODUCT KEY? NEED TO KNOW CAUSE MY LAPTOP IS USELESS...

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Restart your computer two (2) times. You should then see the activation
    screen after these reboots and be able to activate the machine by entering
    your genuine Windows Vista Product Key.

Afterward, visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on
    Validate Windows, then restart your computer again.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:16 PM