Router firewall issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello:

I've read several threads about firewall issues, and while they've been helpful, they haven't quite solved my problem.  I'm not a networking expert, so please bear with me here.  Here's the issue:

I'm trying to set up WHS for my small business that's running a Comcast router (plus McAfee firewall).  I can't get WHS to recognize my network (when I load the software, I get as far as the "please wait while the wizard finds your network" screen, but I always get an error message).

My guess is that the router firewall is preventing me from completing the install.  My guess is also that I need to specify a static IP address for the server (by opening a port), but I'm not 100% sure.

For background: I know the server works well, because I was able to set it up on another network at another location (my house) before physically bringing the server to our office to set it up there and begin the process all over.

Before I spend hundreds of dollars for a "Geek Squad" member to come to my office, I thought I'd ask the folks on this forum what you think I should do to get the network running.  Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide....

Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:57 AM