none
Trouble provisioning PWA site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Hopefully the brilliant minds here can help me!  I've been struggling with this issue for nearly two days, to no avail.

Environment: Project Server 2010 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 Enterprise, Sharepoint 2010 Enterprise

Farm configuration: 1 app server (running central admin), 2 WFEs, and a clustered database (SQL 2008 R2 64)

I have followed the installation documentation precisely, but for some reason, though the PWA site appears to provision successfully, every time I try to browse to the site, I get the dreaded "Unexpected Error has occurred," along with a correlation ID.  I look up the event via the correlation ID in the ULS, and this is what I find:

(GET:http://sbaspapp01:88/PMWEB/default.aspx))     
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.51     w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Logging Correlation Data          xmnv    Medium      Name=Request (GET:http://sbaspapp01:88/PMWEB/default.aspx)    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53     w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Logging Correlation Data          xmnv    Medium      Site=/PMWEB    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53     w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Monitoring                        b4ly    High        Leaving Monitored Scope (PostResolveRequestCacheHandler). Execution Time=7.30334440203964    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53     w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Runtime                           tkau    Unexpected    System.InvalidOperationException: Could not get the application proxy object    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetProxy(Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.GetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.AuthenticationHelper.AuthenticateUserByName(String userName, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean needToValidateUser, String username, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean newCookie)     at Micro...    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53*    w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Runtime                           tkau    Unexpected    ...soft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone, Boolean useCache)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage..ctor()     at ASP.DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\a27c60b3\4022744d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.fm8pumhq.0.cs:line 0     at __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_default_aspx__1514027361_fm8pumhq.Create_ASP_DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\a27c60b3\4022744d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.fm8pumhq.1.cs:line 0     at Sy...    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53*    w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Runtime                           tkau    Unexpected    ...stem.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)     at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.53     w3wp.exe (0x233C)                           0x2308    SharePoint Foundation             Monitoring                        b4ly    Medium      Leaving Monitored Scope (Request (GET:http://sbaspapp01:88/PMWEB/default.aspx)). Execution Time=25.8203943929162    656ecfcb-64c0-4590-88d0-b1bc63f9751d
    10/25/2010 14:37:20.67     w3wp.exe (0x1F6C)                           0x2884    SharePoint Foundation             Topology                          e5mc    Medium      WcfSendRequest: RemoteAddress:

I have tried everything imaginable to get this to work, but to no avail.  I currently house the PWA site on a dedicated web app (port 88, as you'll see in the logs).  Any suggestions?  Let me know if you need more info from me...I"m banging my head against my desk!

Monday, October 25, 2010 7:48 PM

Answers

• 2 WFE'S, 1 app, 2 DB servers in one windows sql cluster.

BUT I GOT IT!!!!

For some reason, neither Enterprise Features nor the Project Server features were enabled on any of my web apps (including the new one I created just for this purpose).  I had to create the site collection for PWA at the empty root, enable project services for the site collection...then provision the web app from the service app.

Hopefully this helps someone else, because I really think it should be added to the documentation.  I'm finally up and running!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:20 PM

All replies

• Quick to start with, check your service account permissions & relevant account has been used in relevant places, in the mean time let me go through the Log :-)

Thanks

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Do you mean the App pool identity?  For testing sake, I tried to deploy it even using my own account (domain admin in AD, farm admin in sharepoint) just to see if it might be a permissions issue.  Should I be using network service, instead of a domain account?

I'm interested to see what you can deduce from the logs...this one has me baffled!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Hi NashvilleSchoolsIT,

Based on this error 'System.InvalidOperationException: Could not get the application proxy object', it seems as if something is wrong with the proxy for your Project Server Service Application.

Go to Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Service Applications.
    Make sure a Proxy has been created for your Project Server service application (should be below you service app, it typically is named 'Connects to Project Web App').

If no proxy exists for your Project Server service application, you might have to delete and recreate your service application (so basically start all over again). Make sure to select the checkbox 'Create a proxy' when recreating your service application. I'm not sure if you can create a proxy without recreating your service application.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Hans,

THanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, that was my understanding of the error as well...but I did confirm that the service app proxy does exist, and just to be sure, I deleted the service app and started over...to no avail.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Have you tried creating a second PWA instance and see if that works? An you have only one WFE and no App Server?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:08 PM
  • 2 WFE'S, 1 app, 2 DB servers in one windows sql cluster.

BUT I GOT IT!!!!

For some reason, neither Enterprise Features nor the Project Server features were enabled on any of my web apps (including the new one I created just for this purpose).  I had to create the site collection for PWA at the empty root, enable project services for the site collection...then provision the web app from the service app.

Hopefully this helps someone else, because I really think it should be added to the documentation.  I'm finally up and running!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:20 PM
  • I had the same exact setup and error but finally found that the service connection to the application was not checked for some reason. Application Management > Manage Web Applications > highlight your Application > click Service Connections (in ribbon) Mine was set to "custom" with all services checked except the one for the project server service app. No idea how that happened, but I switched it back to default and...voila!
    • Edited by jkmuehlenbein Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by asad rajput Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:31 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Thanks for you suggestion. it has worked for me.
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Hi

Getting exactly the same error

System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.    Server stack trace:     
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown
     at [0]:     
     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)    
     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Interfaces.IAuthentication.GetUserByName(String username)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.AuthenticationHelper.AuthenticateUserByName(String userName, Guid siteId)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean needToValidateUser, String username, Guid siteId)

Logging in as farm admin account. Tried all proposed answers above.

Could someone please help?

cheers

• Edited by asad rajput Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Mine was already set for Default and Project App was showing as connected/ticked on Web App.

I selected [Custom] and manually clicked on every service app and it worked!

cheers for pointing me in right direction.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:33 PM
  • It has worked, Thanks
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:54 AM