Partitioning a drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a hard drive to my HP Media Smart Server - but the drive is not partitioned. What is the process to partition this drive after it has been installed in the home server?
    JD
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• I am trying to add a hard drive to my HP Media Smart Server - but the drive is not partitioned. What is the process to partition this drive after it has been installed in the home server?
    JD
    You shouldn't have to partition anything.  Just connect the drive to the server, then open the Console and add it to the storage pool.  WHS will handle the rest.  If you are having a specific problem other than adding it to the storage pool, please provide more information.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

JD
    You shouldn't have to partition anything.  Just connect the drive to the server, then open the Console and add it to the storage pool.  WHS will handle the rest.  If you are having a specific problem other than adding it to the storage pool, please provide more information.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I am trying to set up the new hard drive as a mirror of the first drive.  When I try to 'add' the new hard drive and select "Use this hard drive to back up files that are stored on your home server" the system prompts me to partition the drive. 

If I select to "add this hard drive to your server storage to increase the storage capacity of your home server" I don't get this prompt. 

What do I need to do in order to set up this second drive to serve as the backup drive?

JD
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:46 PM
  • I am trying to set up the new hard drive as a mirror of the first drive.  When I try to 'add' the new hard drive and select "Use this hard drive to back up files that are stored on your home server" the system prompts me to partition the drive. 

If I select to "add this hard drive to your server storage to increase the storage capacity of your home server" I don't get this prompt. 

What do I need to do in order to set up this second drive to serve as the backup drive?

JD
    Oh, sorry.  I misunderstood your first post.

Yes, the drive needs to be formatted first before it can be used as a backup drive.  The supported method is to remove the drive from the server, connect it to a client PC, format it there, then reconnect it back to the server.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:58 PM
  • any way to do this if I don't have a PC that will support a SATA drive?
    JD
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:41 PM
  • any way to do this if I don't have a PC that will support a SATA drive?
    JD

I've never actually tried this, but it should work:

Connect the drive to the server, then add it to the storage pool through the Console.  (That should run a quick format on the drive.)  Wait a minute or two, then remove the drive from the storage pool through the Console.  You should now have a drive that has been formatted and ready to use as a backup drive.  ;)

The other method (which would be unsupported) would be to logon to the server desktop, open Disk Management and format it there.  However, you must be careful going this route because there are tools available from the server desktop that could ruin your WHS installation and cause irretrievable data loss.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:43 PM