Can't remove unhealthy drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an unhealthy drive that can't be repaired.  when I try to use the remove option it says that I will lose files and if I go ahead anyway it says 'Files not moved' and that the wizard hasn't finished and never actually removes the drive.  Should I just unplug it given that the server can't remove it for me?
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:56 AM

Answers

• I would say yes. Shut your server down, remove the drive physically, then power back up. You should have no trouble removing the drive from the storage pool at that point.

Then you can take the drive to another PC and see what's in the (hidden) folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. At least some of those will be the files that WHS has warned you would be lost.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:19 PM

All replies

• I would say yes. Shut your server down, remove the drive physically, then power back up. You should have no trouble removing the drive from the storage pool at that point.

Then you can take the drive to another PC and see what's in the (hidden) folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. At least some of those will be the files that WHS has warned you would be lost.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Ok, I physically removed the drive.  Deleted it when the server said it was 'missing' and then re-added it.  I didn't do the shares thing as I actually think the server had already moved the files as it was reporting that no files were stored on the drive (I have an addon that gives this data).  My critical files were duplicated anyway, so I think I won't have lost any of those anyway if my assumption that the drive was empty was incorrect.

Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:49 PM
  • I'm now having problems copying files to my server using winzip  It keeps saying 'write error...disk is probably full' even though I have over 2TB free.  Is this because it is trying to copy files to full discs and the server isn't 'balanced'??
    Friday, March 14, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I too had a drive that could not be removed so I powered down and removed it. I also showed no data on the drive. I lost all my backups, but my folders are all intact.

The drive was on an Esata Box.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:00 PM

• I have a similar situation, but with (Still) an unsuccessful outcome).
      I have 4 drives in my WHS (a system drive of 500G and  3 1TB drives).  1 of my 1TB drives is showing unhealthy.  When I try to remove it, WHS tells me that there isn't enough room to move files and fails.
      If I power off the box and remove the drive, then restart, WHS reports the drive as missing.  So far so good.  If I then try to remove the drive, WHS tells me there are 2 files open on it, and "file conflicts prevent removal"!!!  How can I have open files on a disk that ISN'T THERE?

I logged onto the WHS with the remote console, and noticed that the Drive Migrator isn't running.  It tries to start, then immediately dies with a "send this error to microsoft" message.

Any thoughts?  ALL of my shares were duplicated, so I haven't lost any data yet.  I would hope that I could replace the drive and repair the shares.  SHould I just power off, remove the bad drive and insert a factory fresh new one in that slot, or will that REALLY confuse things?
      HELP

Thanks
              - Kevin
         (windows live at dunn - online.us)
    Friday, August 15, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Hi there

Let me start by saying that I have lost all confidence in WHS.  It is the biggest piece of sh*% since Vista.  Microsoft has really made an arse of themselves by inroducing WHS.  Since Jan 2008 I have lost 3 Seagate 500Gb hard drives.  Missing drive, server crash, server not starting up, fortunately I have 5year guarantee on the drivews and they are swopped out without any problems, loss of data, time and valuable backups has made me re-think my investment in this platform.

Server will be reconfigured Windows XP SP3 and I will manage backups manually.  To those out there considering WHS, leave it alone as you are wasting your time.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:22 PM