OneCare verses McAffe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Would OneCare replace the McAffe software I've previously installed when MSN had a partnership with them?

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:07 PM

Answers

• If you still have a subscription to MSN Internet Access or Premium, I believe that the McAfee partnership is still ongoing. There has not been any announcement of OneCare being offered to MSN subscribers as part of the subscription. If you choose to use OneCare, you'll need to remove the McAfee software and purchase a subscription to OneCare.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• If you still have a subscription to MSN Internet Access or Premium, I believe that the McAfee partnership is still ongoing. There has not been any announcement of OneCare being offered to MSN subscribers as part of the subscription. If you choose to use OneCare, you'll need to remove the McAfee software and purchase a subscription to OneCare.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I do keep a Premium account, only because I have a couple of "groups" for my family reunion and stuff.  My understanding has been I'd need to keep the Premium account to keep those groups, and I'd suspect also to keep the family safety program running.

I'm frustrated with the McAfee because it seems to be the cause of a lot of waiting.  We have 3 computers at home, the virus software is constently updating, and when that happens we basically cannot do anything but wait for it to complete.

I never had any issue like that with Norton and though this McAffe is "free", it's getting the point where we need to look to do something else.

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

AP

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Hello,

I am also fed up with what McAfee is doing to my computer.

Last month my 2 years subscription expired and I started using the free version offered by AOL.  Fortunately, my computing was never interrupted during McAfee's many updates.  Therefore I was somewhat happy with all the updates since it meant McAfee was staying abreast of the many malware that were being created by the hundreds every day.  But the sluggishness of my computer, which I believed was caused by McAfee, was causing me to lose patience.

I tried finding other security softwares but became confused with the many choices, their ratings and people's comments.  When I researched the free security softwares (at Download.com), I could not find a package that included firewall, antivirus and antispyware.  Firewall protection in most cases is a separate application, except in the case of McAfee.   Which is offered freely by ISP providers and services such as MSN and AOL.  I must admit, McAfee has kept this computer free of malware over the 2 years, but.....

I now find myself with newly installed One Care which has indicated my subscription has expired!  Go figure.  I posted this problem and hope it can be straighten out.  If not, its back to M....

I apologize my reply could not offer you any assistance, instead it was an opportunity to share my blues about McAfee.

Grace and Peace to you and your love ones,

Nissi1

Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:37 PM
  •  AlwaysPerky wrote:

I do keep a Premium account, only because I have a couple of "groups" for my family reunion and stuff.  My understanding has been I'd need to keep the Premium account to keep those groups, and I'd suspect also to keep the family safety program running.

I'm frustrated with the McAfee because it seems to be the cause of a lot of waiting.  We have 3 computers at home, the virus software is constently updating, and when that happens we basically cannot do anything but wait for it to complete.

I never had any issue like that with Norton and though this McAffe is "free", it's getting the point where we need to look to do something else.

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

AP

I don't want to sway you from maintaining a subscription to MSN Premium, but you may be able to do what you wish without the subscription and pay for OneCare (get it at retail for less than the 49.95 US list price for a year and you're even farther ahead...).

Depending on what you are doing with the Groups, you can create one or more Windows Live Spaces for free. http://spaces.live.com

Windows Live OneCare Family Safety is free for all, not just via a subscription to MSN.

If you aren't interested in OneCare from http://onecare.live.com you can use a free antivirus product such as www.avast.com and the Windows Firewall.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:34 PM