none
Avast False Positive Nightmare - File Conflicts - Any Hope? RRS feed

• Question

• The wonderful people at Avast (which I will be uninstalling) decided to push an update a couple weeks ago which quarantined almost 100 executable files (for normal executables) on my WHS shares.  I then of course got the obligatory file conflicts message (specifically the group or resource not being in the correct state).

After reviewing the file conflicts FAQ, and after reviewing several posts on AV issues which got me nowhere, my assumption is that I cannot get these files back in a working condition without going to an offline backup for all 100 executables and restoring each one individually (after I have deleted the remnants of all 100-freakin files and let the conflicts clean up)?  Any other way to handle this?  If not, then why in the WORLD would ANYONE want to run Avast on their WHS if false positives cause this kind of mayhem?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hmm. So much for Avast.

As for the file conflicts you can try:

A.
    1. logon to your server desktop (remote desktop is fine)
    2. Browse to C:\fs\x\DE\shares, where X is a drive letter or number (there may be more the one). Also check for files in D:\DE\shares
    3. For each drive letter (x) browse to the location(s) where the files were originally stored. If you find a file there please check it's integrity. If ok proceed.
    4. From the server desktop open the shares folder, browse to the corresponding share location as in step 3 above
    5. Move the files (cut and paste) from the location in step 3 to the location in step 4. you may need to this in two steps, first move the file to a temp folder, then move to the share.

B.
    If you have a backup for each of the files you could also choose to use this utility to get rid of the file conflicts. It looks for conflicting files and then writes a cmd file you can execute to cleanup. You can also run a single line from the  cmd file the utility creates (just copy to a command prompt) and check if it works as expected.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• Nasty issue! If you have Avast WHS edition this shouldn't happen. If you installed a non WHS version issues like this are bound to happen.

Are you sure it's all false positives? If yes I think you should defnitely contact Avast support and ask them how to recover. Depending on the action Avast performed on these files they may still be recoverable
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Ho no! I've just read Shaun's comment and.... I got the same !!!
    My AVAST quarantine on my WHS is full of "false positive" that AVAST found in my Software shared folders.
    I've checked and effectively those exe files are not anymore in my shared folders.

Pfff, what a shame AVAST !
    This smells a release not tested at all !

I've hopefully restored 95% of those files, but they are still in the quarantine... I hope they will not disappear again.

Honestly I do not kow what to do.

I think I will immediately uninstall AVAST.

What a piece of ____ update AVAST has done here...

PS: I have a fully working and official AVAST WHS edition. What a mistake I did.

Patrick G
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:02 AM
  • If it's not false positives best contact AVAST support a.s.a.p. so they can fix it
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:23 AM
  • They are false positives and Avast has already addressed the bad update.  The problem is that once Avast has quarantined the files, it seems you have a very short period of time before you can't restore them properly anymore in WHS.  I've also historically had horrible experiences with Avast Support, so I'm not going to even try that route this time.  Besides, Avast restores the files just fine.  The problem is WHS no longer recognizes them properly so I don't know how to actually get to the real files without pulling them individually from a backup.

Honestly, even running through the file conflict FAQ illuminates several areas that just aren't handled well by WHS.  I'm assuming they will be addressed with time, but that still leaves me frustrated and with no answers other than to not use an antivirus client (these same issues have shown up with other clients).

By the way, I've been using the official Avast WHS edition since the early betas and I'm currently running a fully licensed and updated version, along with PP3.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Hmm. So much for Avast.

As for the file conflicts you can try:

A.
    1. logon to your server desktop (remote desktop is fine)
    2. Browse to C:\fs\x\DE\shares, where X is a drive letter or number (there may be more the one). Also check for files in D:\DE\shares
    3. For each drive letter (x) browse to the location(s) where the files were originally stored. If you find a file there please check it's integrity. If ok proceed.
    4. From the server desktop open the shares folder, browse to the corresponding share location as in step 3 above
    5. Move the files (cut and paste) from the location in step 3 to the location in step 4. you may need to this in two steps, first move the file to a temp folder, then move to the share.

B.
    If you have a backup for each of the files you could also choose to use this utility to get rid of the file conflicts. It looks for conflicting files and then writes a cmd file you can execute to cleanup. You can also run a single line from the  cmd file the utility creates (just copy to a command prompt) and check if it works as expected.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Brubber, thank you very much for the additional steps.  Since tonight is New Years Eve, I won't be able to try them after work, so I'll try them tomorrow.

For now I've marked the post as answered and will update it as needed.

Thanks again for your help.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I did Contact Avast support, THEY REFUSE TO HELP ME UNINSTALL THIS GARBAGE PROGRAM FROM MY COMPUTER... AND MY WINDOWS LIVE ONE CANNOT REMOVE IT... NOW WHAT?????   LOOSE MY COMPUTER?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:06 PM
  • You should see all my answered posts in their forum about uninstalling Avast! from headless WHS Systems.

Poor company IMHO.
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:26 PM