Antivirus - symantec? RRS feed

• Question

• I haev a new WHS (HP EX490) and am considering what to do for antivirus. I am using drive extender (2 drives) with replication

I'm looking for something ideally that is free, or else low cost.

The safest option appears to be Avast's WHS edition which is around £55 for 3 years (no client licenses) Any further discount codes?

But I can also use "symantec antivirus corporate edition" (need to check version). I can use this for free (work). This isn't designed for WHS, but I see stories of people using it successfully

- any stories of any kind of corruption?
     - performance impact (real time)?
     - does it work?
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi
    I found on my XP systems that Symantec and McAfee are cpu and disk hogs. I now use AVG on my pc's and nothing on my WHS. Nothing gets to that machine except via an AV protected PC so the risk is minimal. This helped improve the response 'crispiness' of my WHS as well. If you really want/need to run AV on your WHS, then I would suggest AVG. I must admit though that Avast WHS version is very tempting as it integrates into the console. This might be an over-riding consideration in your case.

Regardless of what you pick, use the trial version to verify potential perfomrnace impacts, memory and cpu is limited on most of our servers. Using Task Manager (or find Free Extended Task Manager, it provides a lot more information) on your server to determine cpu and memory usage.

Gerrit
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:32 PM
  • I haev a new WHS (HP EX490) and am considering what to do for antivirus. I am using drive extender (2 drives) with replication

I'm looking for something ideally that is free, or else low cost.

The safest option appears to be Avast's WHS edition which is around £55 for 3 years (no client licenses) Any further discount codes?

But I can also use "symantec antivirus corporate edition" (need to check version). I can use this for free (work). This isn't designed for WHS, but I see stories of people using it successfully

- any stories of any kind of corruption?
     - performance impact (real time)?
     - does it work?
    I can't specifically say whether it works or not since I've never used it on WHS (I use avast! on my server and clients), but I think I've seen other users say they have had problems with it on WHS.  In any event, it's unsupported so you should stick with a WHS-aware A/V app.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:11 AM
  • I'd stay with a supported av client.  I used to use AVG on my server and had nothing but problems with it removing files and other issues.  Save yourself the trouble and get one approved for WHS.  And that actually seems like a good deal.  About $88 USD for three years is good, especially for WHS.  Thought Symantec is great, if it's not approved, I'd stay away from it.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:54 AM