Limits in request to Bing Translator API RRS feed

• Question

• What is limitation for using Bing Translator API?
    Following error message we get sometimes when we make request to your service. Why?
    Type: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException. Message: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server. 
    Stack: 
    Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    Monday, January 9, 2012 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Dimitrij,

if you reach any of the set quotas of the Translator API, it will return an http error and a descriptive message detailing which quota was exceeded. Your message looks like a timeout. If you use a request size above 5000 characters, try shorter requests.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

• Proposed as answer by Gabinnyo Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:58 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Does this limit got increased recently?   Last time(year) when I checked it was around 1000 characters per request.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:55 AM
  • The maximum request size for the Translate() method was always 10000 characters.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Thanks Chris.

Is the limit per App ID or per IP address that is sending the requests?
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Per request.
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Actually I meant to ask ... besides the 'per request' limit are there any other limits at the AppId level?   ie like x number of words per day per AppId.

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:19 AM
  • AppIds are deprecated. For old appids in use, the limit is whatever you agreed with us. For new accounts in the Azure Marketplace most subscription levels are currently limited at around 500K characters per hour. Our recommendation is to code your application such that your maintain a sleep-retry loop for quota overruns and timeouts.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:46 AM
  • bing translate specifications and pricing do not match each other. if one reques measures 10k characters, and if I can get 500k characters per hour max - that means I can made 50 request per hour.

one month = 720 hours x 50 request = 36000 requests

so. how can I use for example 2,5mln paid request per month if technically 36k is possible?

am I missing something?

• Edited by marioskocz Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:49 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi Mario,

Pricing is per character. It doesn't matter over how many requests you split these characters.

The above mentioned throughput limitations are also per character. So if you have a 2 million character per month subscription, you can use up your monthly quota in four hours. And then you have to wait until your next monthly anniversary for your account to replenish with 2 million characters.

You can always see your current balance under https://datamarket.azure.com/account/datasets.

Pretty simple. Isn't it?

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:58 PM