What's the Possibility of Microsoft Changing its Mind on File Types? RRS feed

• Question

• I've managed to live with the constraints backup is putting on me.  However, one annoyance is that since it won't backup .db files, several critical Mozilla settings files (key3.db, cert8.db) used to store site password settings don't get backed up.

Given this leaves a serious gap in my backup plans (and I'm sure many others), is this something Microsoft may address in the future and permit?
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hopefully this issue will be addressed. Backup needs to be more customizable. In its current state it does not meet the needs of many users.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hopefully this issue will be addressed. Backup needs to be more customizable. In its current state it does not meet the needs of many users.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:04 PM
  • For anyone else in this quandry, one workaround is to use the Backup functionality in Vista to backup the Mozilla folders themselves (say once a month) outside of the OneCare backup routine.  A second option is to create a batch script to xcopy files to a backup location using task scheduler to run it on a regular basis (this is what I put in place).

Of course, ONE backup routine would be preferred, but its not a showstopper.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:01 PM
  • In it's current form, OC's Backup is no better than Vista's Backup.  In fact Vista's does one better where you can save to another internal hard drive (the option I need).  Right now I am not using OC's but Vista's Backup.

There should be a Basic mode with the options it has now and then an Advanced mode for those who want to customize their backups.  Plus add the "save to another internal hard drive" option.

Otherwise WLOC is a nice light suite and detection rates are going up according to some tests I have seen.  Nice work!

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:56 AM