Connector problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have my laptop connected to my Vail test server. It's been running nightly backups just fine for quite awhile until a few days ago after I uninstalled and re-installed the Sprint SmartView software to upgrade to a 4g modem. Vail stopped backing up the laptop and indicates it's offline in the Backup tab. The Launchpad is running, the Dashboard launches without any problems and the shares on the Vail server are accessable. I tried running a manual backup, but got an error that the laptop was not connected, even though I initiated the backup via the Dashboard running on the laptop. I tried to re-configure the backups, but got an error that the laptop was not connected. I tried to re-install the connector, but got a message at the beginning of the process that the laptop was already connected.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:17 PM

All replies

• Are you having any other issues with networking on that computer since re-installing the Sprint software? Have you filed a bug on Connect regarding this (though the issue is likely to be external to Vail)?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Are you having any other issues with networking on that computer since re-installing the Sprint software? Have you filed a bug on Connect regarding this (though the issue is likely to be external to Vail)?

I'm not having any other issues, network or otherwise. I've not filed a Connect bug yet. I wanted to see if I could get a quick solution here first.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I'm not having any other issues, network or otherwise. I've not filed a Connect bug yet. I wanted to see if I could get a quick solution here first.

Pardon me if I seem to be repeating myself, but the purpose of a beta test is not to find workarounds for product issues, it's to get those product issues reported to Microsoft so they can be fixed. So any post by a beta tester that starts with some variation on "I have this little problem ..." ought to end with "... and here's the Connect bug." Without bugs, issues may not be found and fixed. So you should file a bug report, with logs from your client computer with the issue.

That said, I think your issue is external. After you have submitted your bug with logs, do a search with your favorite search engine for "reset TCP IP stack". It's relatively easy to do, and fixes a fair number of subtle networking issues. Try it. See if it helps.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I have my laptop connected to my Vail test server. It's been running nightly backups just fine for quite awhile until a few days ago after I uninstalled and re-installed the Sprint SmartView software to upgrade to a 4g modem. Vail stopped backing up the laptop and indicates it's offline in the Backup tab. The Launchpad is running, the Dashboard launches without any problems and the shares on the Vail server are accessable. I tried running a manual backup, but got an error that the laptop was not connected, even though I initiated the backup via the Dashboard running on the laptop. I tried to re-configure the backups, but got an error that the laptop was not connected. I tried to re-install the connector, but got a message at the beginning of the process that the laptop was already connected.  Any suggestions?

Have you tried just uninstalling the Vail Connector package from the laptop (in XP  - Contral Panel -> Add or Remove Programs, in Win7/Vista - Control Panel -> Programs and Features) and reinstalling it.  It sounds like upgrading your Sprint software is the issue.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:25 PM