none
Why does Previous take me back so far? RRS feed

• Question

• When a forum search gets more than 20 hits (which is always!), I scroll down to a likely thread and click it open. After reading all posts, I enter Alt-Left to return to the topic list. This works as expected for the first 20 threads; but if I proceed to the next block of topics (e.g., 21-40) and read a thread there, Alt-Left returns me, not to my place in the 21-40 block, but back to the initial 1-20 block.

How can I do what I expect to do?

Price Buhrman

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:42 PM

Answers

• When a forum search gets more than 20 hits (which is always!), I scroll down to a likely thread and click it open.

How can I do what I expect to do?

Don't do that, "click it open."   Instead open a search result page in its own tab.   Then instead of using Back to go back to your search list you just need to close that tab,  e.g.  press Ctrl-w.   Or you might even decide to hang onto that one and instead of closing it just "go back" by switching tabs, e.g. press  Ctrl-Tab.   Some search providers support this method of using their results by providing a Preferences page where you can check "Open results in a new window" so you don't even have to take special action on their links.  E.g. then you would just "click it open" but it would open in a new tab.   Otherwise if your browser is IE you can use Middleclick or Ctrl-Click to ensure that that is what will happen.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by BuhrmanP Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:16 PM