regds microsoft certification exam writing RRS feed

• Question

• I have few queries regd Microsoft certifications:: 1) Is it mandatory to have 3 years of experience in order to write MCP / MCTS examinations? 2) Does the no.of years of experience adds towards the eligibility criterion towards the examination appearance? 3) How many no.of years of experience is considered for writing the exam? Kindly furnish the above queries ASAP. Thanks and Regards
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:10 AM

Answers

• 1. No this is a suggestion, but its not mandatory, If you don't pass its your own money and time your wasted
    the only requirement for taking the exam is that you register, pay the fee, follow the rules in the NDA, show up on time
    and bring two documents (one with photo) to prove your identity to the exam center.

2. No, only exam results count towards certification 
    However some certifications may require a third party certificate or a third party certificate may count as a elective in some cases

3. I think that the general advice of at least 3 years experience in IT and 3 - 6 months with the product your certifying on to be general
    good advice, but  some people are quick learners and some will never learn, so this depends greatly on your individual ability.

Rob.

• Proposed as answer by rhagman Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• Despite being just down the road from Microsoft, I've only known one person who has written for Microsoft. And while this isn't answering your question, it may be helpful. Their opinion was that it wasn't worth the work. Unless this feather in your cap is really important to you, you may want to look into writing for a practice test vendor or book publisher. More money for less work from what I hear.
    Jim Guy MCP, MCITP EA, CCNA, CEH Systems Administrator Kirkland, Washington
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:11 PM
  • 1. No this is a suggestion, but its not mandatory, If you don't pass its your own money and time your wasted
    the only requirement for taking the exam is that you register, pay the fee, follow the rules in the NDA, show up on time
    and bring two documents (one with photo) to prove your identity to the exam center.

2. No, only exam results count towards certification 
    However some certifications may require a third party certificate or a third party certificate may count as a elective in some cases

3. I think that the general advice of at least 3 years experience in IT and 3 - 6 months with the product your certifying on to be general
    good advice, but  some people are quick learners and some will never learn, so this depends greatly on your individual ability.

Rob.

• Proposed as answer by rhagman Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:13 PM