Edge Server Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of these setup for our edge server, may anyone verify if this setup will work.

1. Use one firewall in our network. Open all ports that is needed by Edge Server

2. Consolidated Edge server (A/V, Web conferencing and Access) in one box separated with OCS server

3. Use two NIC

4. Assign one routable IP in public for A/V (eth0)

5. Assign 2 NATed IP for Web and Access (eth0)

6. Assign private IP for another NIC (eth1)

7. No reverse proxy to be setup

8. One server for OCS

My objective is connection of outside user to our OCS when there is a conference, meeting presentation and IM.

Last question, is it possible that I will use my OCS Edge Server to be use also as my Exchange Edge server?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:53 PM

All replies

• OCS Edge can only be installed on 32-bit hardware.  Exchange can only be installed on 64-bit hardware.  So Nope, can't co-locate them.

Do you need your remote users to see meeting content?  If so, you will need a RP.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:02 PM
  • thanks for the prompt response. your right, exchange edge server works with 32-bit and ocs edge server works with 32-bit. 

i really need to setup the RP because of the meeting content. anything that i missed for the setup.

thanks.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:22 PM
  • You will need public certs for your Edge server, otherwise should be OK.  It would be best to have separate NICS but it can work like you have.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:53 PM
  • what do you mean by public certs for Edge server?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Certificates from a trusted third-party issuer, like Verisign.  The anonymous users in the remote forest won't (by default) trust your forest's internal Certificate Authority (if one even exists).

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:19 PM