Can't remove pc from OneCare Circle RRS feed

• Question

• I have had hard drive problem with my laptop which has lead to a replacement drive. When I re-installed OneCare on my new HDD, I still had the old laptop (HDD), new laptop and my desktop/hub. When I try to remove the old laptop, I get this message:

"An error is preventing OneCare from perfroming this action. Please restart your computer and try again. If the problem still occurs, contact the help centre."

I have restarted my computer- no change!

I have searched for an answer in the help centre- and can't find one!

What can I do?? Is there any call centre for OneCare???

I'm running Vista Ultimate on my Laptop and XP Media on my hub.

Also, when I get my new pc I'm worried now I've installed OneCare 3 times I won't have another liscence... even though twice it was installed on the same machine (but with an new HDD). Will this be the case?

Thank you,

Rob

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try temporarily making your laptop a hub then try to remove the old computer from your One Care Circle. Reinstallations should not cause a problem when adding a third computer. If removing the old computer from your One Care circle fails again you can contact support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Thank you! By making the laptop a hub, I could remove the duplicate.

Does this mean I can install it on another computer now and it will allow me to without any trouble with liscences?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:41 PM
  •  You are welcome. You can have One Care installed on three computers so there should not be any issues.
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:33 AM