• Hello:

I have WHS 2009 with these versions:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

The largest inconveniences for me in 2009 were:
    (1) No EASY way to back up the server itself (the Disk ID issue)
    (2) The need for support for RAID drives

Have those issues been addressed in 2011?  I'm sure I could search for the answers, but I wanted to hear from the experts.  I mainly focus on the Office desktop products.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:27 PM

Answers

• Rich

Yes, that's the Drive Extender I was referring to. It was in the early Vail betas but then got removed. You can keep adding drives but each will be given a drive letter so you have to think about your data locations wheras that was not necessary with DE.

Personally I prefer 2011 to WHS 1 as it has much better streaming capabilities. It's a bit like comparing XP to Windows 7 - both adequate but the latter is much more polished. Of course it's a 64-bit OS (built on Windows Server 2008 Release 2) compared to the 32-bit original - still only supports 8GB RAM though (which actually is plenty as long as you don't start doing unsupported things with it VMs and the like!).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, November 14, 2011 4:47 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 2:42 AM
  • (1) Drive mirroring (So if I lose the server hard drive, I don't have to start all over

(2) Easy full backup of the entire Server hard drive so that in the event that the drive mirror fails, I can easily restore the WHS server back to normal (with all the shares, the system, and all backups of the workstations).

(1) Don't use Windows fault tolerance. Fault tolerance (RAID) is not a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology. If you don't back up your server, you have no protection against anything except the loss of a single drive (with common RAID levels); every other issue that can result in data loss in the absence of RAID can still result in data loss if RAID is in use.

Instead, back your server up regularly (Windows Home Server 2011 makes this easy, with an automatic built-in backup of up to 2 TB and bare metal recovery capbility), and take backups off-site for safe-keeping.

(2) Built in to Windows Home Server 2011, as I said above.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, November 14, 2011 7:22 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• The largest inconveniences for me in 2009 were:

(1) No EASY way to back up the server itself (the Disk ID issue)
    (2) The need for support for RAID drives

• Server backup is built in but, dependent on how much data you have, it is flawed! It uses .vhd technology and as such is limited to 2TB - fine for normal data but if you have a lot if video it hits the limit fairly quickly.
    • RAID is supported.

In case you don't know, there is no Drive Extender so you manually manage data locations with Drive letters.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Phil:

Thanks for responding.  When you say there is no "Drive Extender", are you referring to the feature in 2009 that allows me to add drives (even USB drives) to meet storage needs?  Also, 2 TB is not a problem for me, because most of my space is taken by business applications, not video.  How would you rate 2011 vs 2009?

If you can update me on those questions, I'll mark this as the answer.

Kindest regards,

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Rich

Yes, that's the Drive Extender I was referring to. It was in the early Vail betas but then got removed. You can keep adding drives but each will be given a drive letter so you have to think about your data locations wheras that was not necessary with DE.

Personally I prefer 2011 to WHS 1 as it has much better streaming capabilities. It's a bit like comparing XP to Windows 7 - both adequate but the latter is much more polished. Of course it's a 64-bit OS (built on Windows Server 2008 Release 2) compared to the 32-bit original - still only supports 8GB RAM though (which actually is plenty as long as you don't start doing unsupported things with it VMs and the like!).

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, November 14, 2011 4:47 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Phil:

Thanks for the update.  Unlike yourself, I'm not a machine builder... I strictly do software.  So, I searched for a company from whom I could purchase a pre-installed system, and one that seemed very good was in England (I'm in the USA).  I want:

(1) Drive mirroring (So if I lose the server hard drive, I don't have to start all over
    (2) Easy full backup of the entire Server hard drive so that in the event that the drive mirror fails, I can easily restore the WHS server back to normal (with all the shares, the system, and all backups of the workstations).

Thanks, 

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I guess you are talking about Tranquility - they seem to have a good reputation. As far as I am aware there is no Company in the USA, although there are rumours of Acer releasing one , but that's been ongoing for some time.

Good luck.

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:31 PM
  • (1) Drive mirroring (So if I lose the server hard drive, I don't have to start all over

(1) Don't use Windows fault tolerance. Fault tolerance (RAID) is not a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology. If you don't back up your server, you have no protection against anything except the loss of a single drive (with common RAID levels); every other issue that can result in data loss in the absence of RAID can still result in data loss if RAID is in use.

Instead, back your server up regularly (Windows Home Server 2011 makes this easy, with an automatic built-in backup of up to 2 TB and bare metal recovery capbility), and take backups off-site for safe-keeping.

(2) Built in to Windows Home Server 2011, as I said above.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, November 14, 2011 7:22 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Ken:

Thanks for the additional information... it's appreciated!!

Regards,

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:23 PM