none
WHS 2011 issue - losing server connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm running the latest version of Windows Home Server (2011) on my server and getting a problem that's happening more and more frequently. I'm getting a Server is not accessible error on all my PC's on the network as well as my Sonos system that's connected to a Music folder. If I run Remote Desktop Connection on my main PC I can connect directly to the server and I can access all hard drives and folders. If, however, I try and select the Server icon from the Network list in the My Computer window then it also can't be accessed.

I've tried running the Dashboard from the Server and it comes up with an error message box stating "Cannot retrieve the activation status. Please try again".

If I restart the server then it boots up to a blank desktop. If I turn off the server and reboot completely then it works and I can access all server folders.

I found something with a similar issue and followed the instructions below but that didn't work either:

http://www.postseek.com/meta/21eb53484b566c8f841ba5f542969ec6

It looks like the Licensing Store is corrupted.....
    Recreate the Licensing Store
    1) Click Start button.
    2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
    3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
    4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
    5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    8) Type: net start sppsvc
    9) Type: slui.exe
    10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.

Any ideas what's going on and what I can do to fix it?

Cheers,

Jed

Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

is there something in the event logs of the server pointing to crashes and/or disk failures? You can try to install Homeserver Smart addon to check, if a disk is starting to have issues.

Check also if system date, time, time zone are matching the reality and the battery, which is in charge for the real time clock on the mainboard, is not empty.

If you can exclude those issues, you might consider a server reinstallation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I'll take a look and post back later.
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:37 PM
  • Where do I find the event logs?

I've installed Homeserver Smart and found some issues on a couple of my drives that it says I should keep an eye on, but m OS drive is healthy.

Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:46 AM
  • The event logs can be found by logging in to the server directly or via Remote Desktop (username: Administrator, password is the dashboard password)

Then in Start Menu lookup for Event Viewer (if you use the English version of WHS).

If any disk is starting to fail, it may impact also the disk controller and therefore the OS, which attempts to use the controller. Or hard accessible files may hang up Windows Explorer, hence blocking network access. Or a damaged sector in the backup database files may cause the WHSBackup service to hang. So it must not always be a faulty system disk to crash/freeze the system.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:34 AM