none
Corrupt .mny & mbf RRS feed

• Question

• W10 x64 running MS Money 2005 (UK) ver 14.0.120.1105

I of 2 accounts has stopped working from today having been last used 2 days ago 23rd Sept. Both the .mny & .mbf are corrupt.

Ran the repair tool, tried system restore, tried a file recovery program to find older .mny & .mbf etc, tried installing/opening on another PC, tried Sunset edition & repair, read every page on web which thus far it seems no one has ever fixed a corruption issue.

Very strange as other account works fine. I've been running money since 2008 when I opened the bank account the program is associated with. I have set up the account again but when downloading statements it only retrieves about 30 days worth of transactions. Assuming the corrupt files are lost and I have to continue with this fresh account, is it possible to download transactions going back many years and if so how?

Many thanks

ps. point taken that I've been lax in maintaining backups...lesson learnt!

Monday, September 25, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• I think your pessimism is mostly warranted, but I expect some files have been recovered with the salvage process.

You could also read about sunriise and  sunriise2. I don't know if that would help you, but it might be worth a look.

Since you can still open the file, have you tried File->Export...->LooseQIF for the problem account?
    • Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:35 PM corrected sunrise to sunriise
    Monday, September 25, 2017 1:53 PM
  • The transaction date limit is probably set by your bank. 30 days/one month is the usual default.

There may be options to go back up to a few years. Check what your bank has available.

Money can access multiple accounts: there is no need to have separate .mny files for each account unless they are for distinct legal entities.

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Duvl,

You report "1 of 2 accounts has stopped working".  In Money, an account is a checking account, savings account, investment account, etc. and a .mny file (or a .mbf file) can contain one or more of such accounts.  Do you have two .mny files and one has stopped working?  Or are you having problems with one account in a single .mny file?

Did you try right-clicking on your .mny file or .mbf file, choosing Properties>Previous Versions to see if maybe Windows has saved an older version that precedes the corruption?

Bill Becker

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Bill... sorry I wasn't very clear re accounts. Both of us are with the same bank and have separate (current only) accounts each. Through money, each account has separate .mny and .mbf         i.e. mine.mny and mine.mbf and hers.mny and hers.mbf. Having ran my account and downloaded transactions etc (successfully) I exit the money program and then re-open using hers.mny only now both her mny/mbf report corrupt. It was fine 2 days ago.

Had already tried your Previous Versions tip without success. So far it appears from forum feedback across the web that if the money built in repair program does not succeed then you have had your chips!

Monday, September 25, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Yes,unfortunately, there does not seem to be much activity lately on developing a way to repair Money files.  As you already stated, you need to review your backup process.  Here's Cal Learner's advice from another post:

Note that Money 2005 only gives you a single upon-exit and one scheduled backup. This could result in a corrupted file being backed up over your only good backup file.

I suggest that you review your backup procedures to take that into a account, especially as you are as motivated as you will be due to your recent scare.

Here is what I suggest with Money 2005:

In Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR or other media or to the cloud.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy. Earlier versons of Money cannot back up to a removable
    drive, such as a USB flash drive, unless there is 2 GB or less of
    free space (bug).

* This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money160211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.  If I
    went into Money 5 times in a day, I would not want to back up 5
    times.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

In addition, it's concerning that one of your .mny files became corrupted.  It might indicate a problem with your computer or hard drive.  It would be prudent to set up a periodic DVD, flash drive, or online backup of all your other important data files.

Bill Becker

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Money 2005 has an upon-exit backup and a scheduled backup. These would normally have different filename. So you would have at least 2 backups for each file, I would think, as long as you did not name the backup file names to be the same inside hers.mny and mine.mny.

May I suggest a backup system where you keep different vintages of backup file? One way is to periodically run a batch file that does something like this:

rem ========example batch file===================

rem presume m: is a flash drive, and scheduled backup
    rem  is set to m:\mine_scheduled.mbf
    rem This only shows the scheduled backup. You would do a similar thing
    rem for the upon-exit backups
    rem Presumes Money 2005 or earlier, since Money 2006 and later have an
    rem automated action that handles multiple backup versions
    rem Running this batch file can be manual, or can be a Windows scheduled task, run weekly.

del m:\mine_scheduled.mbf.bk3
    ren m:\mine_scheduled.mbf.bk2 mine_scheduled.mbf.bk3
    ren m:\mine_scheduled.mbf.bk1 mine_scheduled.mbf.bk2
    ren m:\mine_scheduled.mbf  mine_scheduled.mbf.bk1

rem ========end of batch file========

note this example is only for the scheduled backup. You would want to do something similar for the upon-exit backup file.

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Since you have Windows 10 you can use File History to keep as many backed up versions as your backup drive can hold. See Back up and restore your files .

Note that File History requires a separate physical device. File History will not back up to a partition on the same physical device.

Monday, September 25, 2017 6:32 PM
  • Ancient backups will always require a huge amount of data re-entry before they are of any use.

I have named my backups: 1-Monday, 2-Tuesday, 3-Wednesday ....thro..... 7-Sunday and keep them all in the same folder on a different physical drive to my *.mny data file. On exit from Money 2000, I browse that folder, point to 'Today' whatever that is, select and then over-write a backup that may be one or perhaps two weeks old. I have never yet failed to open one of my backups and I have never had to re-enter more than a few transactions.

I recommend this strategy.

Teabag

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Thank you all for your suggestions/ideas. I have given up trying to overcome my corruption issues. It does appear that if Moneys built in repair doesn't work then, barring additional backups, there is no way back. I'm backed up to the hilt now following the advice above and I managed to get 15 months of statements re-downloaded into a newly setup replacement Money account. The lost 8ys I'm just going to have to stomach!
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Maybe try Sunriise. https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?searchTerm=sunrise

Let us know if that does anything for you. I see that I had accidently written Sunrise above when I intended to write Sunriise. I have corrected that.

Note that salv.exe does work in many cases. How large was the *.mny file that it could not help?

Another thing that is very unlikely to help is to try the Money 2006 repair. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us has a link in its section for Money 2003. Another possibility is to try the repair from Money Plus. Don't install Money Plus on a computer that you plan to run Money 2005 on. And if you install it temporarily on a computer, you could do a restore point, install, do stuff, uninstall, restore restore point. I have not seen anybody report the 2006 or Plus versions of salv.exe working where the 2005 did not. So hope is very very slim on that.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:42 PM