HP MediaSmart and D-Link Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Has anyone installed a D-Link DSM-320 Media Player or alike?

Should something like this be installed on the HP server or on the local computer?

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:53 AM

Answers

• Has anyone installed a D-Link DSM-320 Media Player or alike?

Yes, I'm using a D-Link DSM-320 with a WHS which I built. I bought the DSM-320 from Amazon.com and it was only about $100 after the sale price and rebate.

It works great with WHS and I would highly recommend it. However, if you want the best video performance use a wired (not wireless) ethernet connnection.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:41 AM

All replies

• Ideally, you will use a digital media receiver that can consume Windows Media Connect (UPnP) streaming, so that you don't have to install a "server" app to support your DMR. You should check the D-Link support site to see if the manuals for the DSM-320 are of any use.

If all you want to receive is music, then (given that you're using an HP MediaSmart Server) you could use a format that the built-in iTunes server (Firefly) can stream, and a DMR like the Roku SoundBridge.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Has anyone installed a D-Link DSM-320 Media Player or alike?

Yes, I'm using a D-Link DSM-320 with a WHS which I built. I bought the DSM-320 from Amazon.com and it was only about $100 after the sale price and rebate.

It works great with WHS and I would highly recommend it. However, if you want the best video performance use a wired (not wireless) ethernet connnection.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:41 AM
  •  

I have the DSM-320 and it does with with WHS's media connect but doesnt support all the formats that the D-Link Media Server supports. It doesnt hurt running it as well.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Here is my two cents worth..

After considerable research, I broke down and bought a Roku M1001 Sound bridge device to stream audio from my home to my shop wich is in a seperate building.  This could not have been easier.  I plugged in the unit via ethernet cable turned it on and it immediatly found my WHS and the audio stream and away it went.  For the money I couln't be happier.  Just keep in mind that it is better to have the media player hooked up via ethernet than wireless, even though I haven't tried the wireless feedback from online forums showed there could be a streaming problem, especially with WMA lossless and high rate MP3 files.  If you are just looking for music streaming this is my two cents worth.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:15 AM