Windows Live One Care vs. Windows Defender? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am not a computer wiz...My computer seems to be in conflict with these 2 programs...I can't download important updates.!  Which of these programs is most important?  It seems as if I need to uninstall one of them for my security to work properly because I am always getting messages that my firewall is not turned on and I need tio install important updates but when I do this they can't be installed succesfully...I'm confused!!!???
    Friday, December 14, 2007 3:57 PM

Answers

•  Skater Mom wrote:

I am not a computer wiz...My computer seems to be in conflict with these 2 programs...I can't download important updates.!  Which of these programs is most important?  It seems as if I need to uninstall one of them for my security to work properly because I am always getting messages that my firewall is not turned on and I need tio install important updates but when I do this they can't be installed succesfully...I'm confused!!!???

The easy part of your question is regarding Windows Defender. When OneCare installs, it disables Defender as it includes the malware protection of Defender. You need to leave Defender shut down.

The harder part of your problem appears to be two-fold - a firewall not starting issue and a problem with Windows Updates. Based on this, my recommendation is for you to contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:58 PM

All replies

•  Skater Mom wrote:

The easy part of your question is regarding Windows Defender. When OneCare installs, it disables Defender as it includes the malware protection of Defender. You need to leave Defender shut down.

The harder part of your problem appears to be two-fold - a firewall not starting issue and a problem with Windows Updates. Based on this, my recommendation is for you to contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:58 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

-steve

If I'm using WLOC but don't have Defender, should I install but disable it from starting, or not bother with it?
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 7:12 PM
  • If you are using OneCare, don't install Defender.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:11 PM
  • This does not go far enough.  OneCare is not absolved just because

it evokes compatibility problems with Defender and Vista that the user can work around.

for instance, if we ever want to 'change startup programs', that function won't

even RUN in control panel, UNTIL you turn defender back ON.

If you do that, a popup appears behind all windows on the desktop

telling you your computer is at risk.  You must acknowledge it to continue

and Defender MUST turned back ON.   OneCare has created a black screen Vista/user interrupt to use control panel that was not there before OneCare was installed.

OneCare is breaking Vista by disabling a program that is required to be active for Control Panel to run successfully.  That should go down as a compatibility bug.

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:59 PM
  • I agree that the functionality is not seamlessly integrated. Note that the option in Control Panel for startup programs, pointing to the Defender functionality is not "required... for Control Panel to run successfully." Control Panel runs just fine - it is just this function that will not run unless you enable Defender. However, there is a startup programs configuration within OneCare that you can use without enabling Defender - open OneCare, click change settings, Tune-up tab, then Change startup settings button.

On the other hand, when you follow the path from Control Panel, the warning prompt on my PC doesn't go behind other programs - it popped to the front. You can choose to enable Defender at that point, use the tools of Defender and then either disable Defender again when you are done or let OneCare disable it on its own, which it will.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I cannot update windows defender. I am getting error code 80072F78. Can any one help please?

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:15 PM
  •  Ahmed-1 wrote:

I cannot update windows defender. I am getting error code 80072F78. Can any one help please?

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Defender newsgroups

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:11 PM