none
Windows Vista64 will not activate after setting up dualboot with XP and installing new bootmanager RRS feed

• Question

• Wanted to and did install XP on the same physcial drive but different logical partition as Vista Ultimate64.

This Vista64 has been installed several times with no licensing issues whatsoever.

This computer uses an ASUS motherboard, so after installing XP, reloaded all chipsets and ethernet drivers, etc off the ASUS CD.  I had to do the same thing when I installed Vista since network drivers, sound drivers AND chipsets were on this CD...(I'm thinking it might have been a mistake to install everything again in XP rather than just what was absolutely necessary.

Rebooted machine after install and of course, the bootmgr was missing and Vista was also MIA.  Only XP booted.

Found an excellent third party software that readded the bootmanager (BDA), and after using the software both Vista and XP reappeared in the newly added boot manager.

Booted into Vista and now get "nag" saying license is invalid and even though I type it in, again it says it's still invalid.  HELP!!!

I'm sure it would let me clean install since I don't believe this disk even asks for a PW.  Never had install problems..Thanks

I did run the MCGdiag tool (think that's the name) and it does show invalid license in red, but I'm thinking something somewhere got written over.

Spencer

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• "BigBoyDale" wrote in message news:ac286ba3-05f0-4887-9993-5a70d3983ead...

Wanted to and did install XP on the same physcial drive but different logical partition as Vista Ultimate64.

This Vista64 has been installed several times with no licensing issues whatsoever.

This computer uses an ASUS motherboard, so after installing XP, reloaded all chipsets and ethernet drivers, etc off the ASUS CD.  I had to do the same thing when I installed Vista since network drivers, sound drivers AND chipsets were on this CD...(I'm thinking it might have been a mistake to install everything again in XP rather than just what was absolutely necessary.

Rebooted machine after install and of course, the bootmgr was missing and Vista was also MIA.  Only XP booted.

Found an excellent third party software that readded the bootmanager (BDA), and after using the software both Vista and XP reappeared in the newly added boot manager.

Booted into Vista and now get "nag" saying license is invalid and even though I type it in, again it says it's still invalid.  HELP!!!

I'm sure it would let me clean install since I don't believe this disk even asks for a PW.  Never had install problems..Thanks

I did run the MCGdiag tool (think that's the name) and it does show invalid license in red, but I'm thinking something somewhere got written over.

Spencer

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:34 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:53 PM

All replies

• "BigBoyDale" wrote in message news:ac286ba3-05f0-4887-9993-5a70d3983ead...

Wanted to and did install XP on the same physcial drive but different logical partition as Vista Ultimate64.

Spencer

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:34 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:53 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:34 PM