Can't Update "New North American Map.stt" Template in ST2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed the retail version of ST2013 and registered/activated it. I wanted to update the base template, and following the directions in the help system, I arrived at the Save dialog box for the template. However, when I try to save it, I get an error message which reads, "Access Denied" after the "Do you want to replace it?" dialog.

I checked the file properties for the template and they are not Read Only.

Any ideas?

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Herman,

Could it be a permission issue? Are you logged in to your computer as an administrator?

Laptop GPS World

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Yes, I am. I've since tried running the executable as administrator via a right click on it, which does allow me to save the file.

My take is that installing in the default "Program Files (x86)" folder (Win 7 64 bit) gets things tangled up with UAC permissions. I should have listened to my better judgement and not accepted the default. I did expect though that saving a template over another one shouldn't have involked UAC on a just recently released program from MS.

• Edited by HermanRoss Monday, July 16, 2012 9:00 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Before starting the program, right click the shortcut in the Programs menu.

When the Properties dialog pops us, click the "Compatibility" tab.

Under privilege level section, click "Run this program as an administrator".

Click OK.

Restart Streets and Trips 2013.

Then make a new map you want for the Template.

Then use File > save as and select *.stt   .

In the white space above, click "New North American Map.stt"

It should ask you, "New North American Map.stt already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

Click "Yes"

That should let you save a new default template.

I had your problem at first, then tried the above steps. The new template now is the default for me.

My complaint is, they haven't updated the maps in three damn years!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:42 AM